Using GIS data for Dig Silent

03-02-2021 05:40 AM
GG1987
by
New Contributor

I'm a novice GIS user so I apologize if this post ended up in a wrong place.

I am trying to find a way to use GIS Shapefile in a program called Dig Silent which requires DGS file format from Arc GIS, however I can't find a way to convert my shapefiles to GDS format. I would really apriciate if  someone with same field of experience could direct me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This may be a topic better suited to the DIgSILENT site.

From ArcGIS, the Data Interoperability extension is usually the panacea for working with less common formats and data sources, but there's no mention of DGS filetypes there. Doing a few searches around the internet doesn't yield anything relevant either.

On DIgSILENT's website, there are some mentions of import/export procedures, as well as sample data files. Looking at both the DGS and the Excel files provided, it is very hard to fathom how a shapefile might be exported to such a format short of making your own tool/script to do so.

They do mention a whole DGS interface for working with GIS systems, but I can't find any specifics on it. Again, this is best directed to the DIgSILENT support. Perhaps they can elaborate for you on what exactly "supporting GIS and SCADA interfacing" entails.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
GG1987
by
New Contributor

It seems they have this converter as different feature and are selling it as another product. Can't say how it works as the won't send me a sample.

0 Kudos
GG1987
by
New Contributor

Thank you for your time, I hope they answer.

0 Kudos