Upgrade enterprise Geodatabse 10.9 compatible with ArcMap 10.8.2?

Jump to solution
03-02-2022 11:50 AM
Jelle_Stu_PR
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade our Oracle enterprise geodatabase from version 10.5 to version 10.9 alongside upgrading ArcGIS Enterprise to 10.9.1. From the different documentation, including this one, it remains unclear to me if ArcSDE 10.9 is compatible with ArcMap 10.8.2. Will the database still be opened in ArcMap 10.8.2? Or do we need to update to ArcSDE 10.8 so that it remains working in ArcMap? What about ArcGIS Pro? Do we need version 2.9 as a minimum requirement? If I can only update to ArcSDE 10.8, I assume that will work with ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1?

Thanks in advance,
Jelle Stuurman

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You can upgrade the enterprise geodatabase with a Pro client to the latest version. You can still connect with ArcMap 10.8.2 / Enterprise 10.9+ and use the data. The only way that you would not be able to see the data is if it was branch versioned, or other new functionally only available with ArcGIS Pro.

You could use ArcMap 10.8.2 to update (if available) and Enterprise 10.9+ should be able to connect and use the data, but may have limitations on any new 10.9+ capabilities / updates.

This would apply to all supported RDBMS versions (SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, etc.).

**Full disclosure, I have not used any ArcMap version in at least a year**

Let me know if you have any other questions. I know that client / Enterprise Geodatabase version compatibility can be confusing.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
HeatherM_JDI
New Contributor III

I have the same question except for a SQL-based Enterprise GDB! Now that we have an installation of 10.8.2 in our test environment the message I am getting is "This 10.6.1 Geodatabase matches the ArcGIS release you are currently using" in both ArcMap and Pro.

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

just in case you are considering going on out to 11, there is this new bullet to consider too

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/manage-sql-server/upgrade-geodatabas...

When you upgrade a geodatabase in SQL Server to 11.0 or a later release, the fully qualified names of tables and feature classes will no longer contain the database name.

For example,

a feature class named productdata.dataowner.inventory in a 10.9.x geodatabase

will be named dataowner.inventory after you upgrade the geodatabase.

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Note: this only applies to SQL Server Geodatabases and not to Oracle Geodatabases nor PostgreSQL Geodatabases.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
George_Thompson

You can upgrade the enterprise geodatabase with a Pro client to the latest version. You can still connect with ArcMap 10.8.2 / Enterprise 10.9+ and use the data. The only way that you would not be able to see the data is if it was branch versioned, or other new functionally only available with ArcGIS Pro.

You could use ArcMap 10.8.2 to update (if available) and Enterprise 10.9+ should be able to connect and use the data, but may have limitations on any new 10.9+ capabilities / updates.

This would apply to all supported RDBMS versions (SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, etc.).

**Full disclosure, I have not used any ArcMap version in at least a year**

Let me know if you have any other questions. I know that client / Enterprise Geodatabase version compatibility can be confusing.

--- George T.
SandraWang1
New Contributor

Thanks for sharing the knowledge and solution. I think the geodatabase version will be the same with ArcGIS pro client that has been used to upgrade. Also if you like to know what version of client version, this link explains:

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

example: ArcGIS pro 2.9  is with geodatabase version 10.9.1

0 Kudos
gsurange
New Contributor

Hi George,

Can we still connect with ArcMap 10.8.1 to Enterprise 10.9+ and use the data from Geodatabase 10.9+

--Ganesh S.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

You should be able to, but there moving forward would highly recommend moving to Pro.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@Jelle_Stu_PR

Note:
documentation links that are useful

ArcGIS client and workgroup or desktop geodatabase compatibility—ArcMap | Documentation

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

community.esri.com blog articles that I have authored that are helpful.

How to Move the Oracle Enterprise Geodatabase with the Oracle Data Pump Utility

Oracle eGDB SDE Repo Upgrade Using Oracle Restore Point

About your question.

"ArcGIS 10.8.2 is the current release of ArcGIS Desktop and will enter Mature Support in March 2024. There are no plans to release an ArcGIS Desktop 10.9, and it is recommended that you migrate to ArcGIS Pro. See Migrate from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro for more information."

As @George_Thompson mentioned ArcMap 10.8.2 will be able to connect and edit data from an Oracle Enterprise Geodatabase 10.9.1 but there are limitations. ArcMap is not able to display ArcGIS Pro Branch Version, ArcGIS Pro Attribute Rules, etc. 

FYI: ArcGIS 11.1 and ArcGIS Pro 3.1 requirements for Oracle—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS ...

FYI: What Oracle database versions are supported by ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Pro? 
Table shows the ArcGIS Enterprise / ArcGIS Pro - Oracle Enterprise Geodatabase Version 

You might want to check the ArcGIS Enterprise Deprecation Notices

https://support.esri.com/en-us/search?cardtype=deprecation+notices&s=Relevance&product=arcgis+server

Deprecation: Removal of ArcMap-Based Runtime from ArcGIS Enterprise (esri.com)  - IMPORTANT!!!

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos