Updating Annotation

Jump to solution
07-02-2015 07:26 AM
MichelleCouden
Occasional Contributor

We have traffic count maps, where there are new stations added every year. We need to add these new stations to the annotation that was created. For Example, we source the count layer to the new shapefile. We now need to get the new stations added into the annotation layer without losing our annotation. How do we update the geodatabase of annotation??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Michelle,

Take a look at the Append Annotation tool.  Possible workflow:

1.  Select new stations, and create a new annotation feature class for selected stations

2.  Append new annotation feature class to existing annotation feature class

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Michelle,

Take a look at the Append Annotation tool.  Possible workflow:

1.  Select new stations, and create a new annotation feature class for selected stations

2.  Append new annotation feature class to existing annotation feature class

MichelleCouden
Occasional Contributor

Morning Jake, I went ahead and put the new annotation and existing annotation in the same geodatabase but I am still getting an error of "Inputs must reside in the same workplace". Do you know what that means??

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

That is strange, you shouldn't be getting this error if both annotation feature classes reside in the same geodatabase.  Any chance you can zip and attached the geodatabase?

0 Kudos
MichelleCouden
Occasional Contributor

Hey, maybe I have to save the new appended annotation into another geodatabase. Could that be it?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Try copying both annotation feature classes to a new File Geodatabase and see if you receive the same error when you run the Append Annotation tool.

0 Kudos
MichelleCouden
Occasional Contributor

Figured it out. I forget some of these new tools are written in Python code. No spaces between words (Nomenclature). There were a couple of folders with spaces so the tool wasn't running. When I made the saved title with no spaces ran beautifully. Thank you so much for your help on the append tool.

0 Kudos
MichelleCouden
Occasional Contributor

Is there something else that called workspace? Instead, of geodatabase.

0 Kudos