Unable to Delete Versions

Jump to solution
10-12-2017 09:45 AM
ApurvDanke
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

We are using Oracle12c for our enterprise geodatabase at 10.4.1 and we're maintaining versions using OS authentication. All the users create their own versions using OS authentication. Now, when we want to delete some of the versions for housekeeping, we need to ask those users to delete their own versions, as (I think) only the version owner can delete their versions. Now, we may face an issue which is if someone leaves the organization, and the corresponding user id which is used to logon to the systems becomes disabled, and the user didn't delete his/her versions and they are left over, then how do we as administrators delete them. I have tried using the respective user-defined schema owners, where we have kept our datasets, and tried to delete those user versions using the schema owner, but the geodatabase still does not allow to delete them, even though the versions are marked as "Public". Bear in mind that the versions created using OS authentication are named as "WindowsLoginUserName".<VersionName>, while those created using DB authentication (schema owner) come as <SchemaOwnerName>.<VersionName>. There are no double quotes if we use database authentication.

So is there a way to delete the versions, belonging to a user, whose ID may have been disabled?

Regards,

Apurv

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Seems similar to :Cannot delete versions with double quote  Or maybe NIM082947: Cannot modify or delete a geodatabase version create.. 

Also note the below: 

Deleting versions—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Only the owner or the geodatabase administrator can delete a transactional version. Anyone can delete an historical version.

The geodatabase administrator in Oracle—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

The geodatabase administrator account in Oracle is the account that owns the geodatabase repository. The geodatabase administrator for the master geodatabase must be named sde.

So try using the SDE user to delete the Versions.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Seems similar to :Cannot delete versions with double quote  Or maybe NIM082947: Cannot modify or delete a geodatabase version create.. 

Also note the below: 

Deleting versions—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Only the owner or the geodatabase administrator can delete a transactional version. Anyone can delete an historical version.

The geodatabase administrator in Oracle—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

The geodatabase administrator account in Oracle is the account that owns the geodatabase repository. The geodatabase administrator for the master geodatabase must be named sde.

So try using the SDE user to delete the Versions.

ApurvDanke
Occasional Contributor

Hi Asrujit,

Yes! I managed to delete them using SDE user. Thanks! Actually I had tried this previously but the option to delete the version was not enabled, it was greyed out. However, we recently gave some privileges/roles to SDE user and then I was able to delete them.

Regards,

Apurv

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Apurv Great! feel free to mark the suitable response as "correct" and close the thread.

0 Kudos