This release of the Geodatabase is either invalid or out of date

10-13-2017 08:00 AM
ElsitMandal1
New Contributor

After getting SQL server management studio installed on desktop, getting error while trying to connect to geodatabases on SQL server 2012. ArcGIS 10.4.1  Appreciate any help!

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Unless you are using the exact same configuration as the Original Poster, I suggest you create a new Post with details of your environment.

0 Kudos
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

I'm seeing the same error after restoring the DB from a BAK of a different DB. 

DB Connection tool can see the DB but throws the error when I attempt to connect.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Did you change the name of the DB during the restore process?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

no sir the DB name is the same - we restored it to a BAK from a DB with a different name, though

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

So you had an "empty / existing" DB then restored the .bak to that one, correct?

If so, that would cause the issue. If you restored the .bak to another DB with a different name it would break things. The only way I have seen a successful restore is to run the process and do not touch anything with the naming part.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

Yessir. we restored our TEST DB (named test_mwa) using a backup of our PROD DB (named mwa).

This was an attempt to bring the 2 back into sync

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Ok, that is what broke. You have to restore the test_mwa to the same name.

As a test, if you restore test_mwa to the a different instance and leave the name the same, re-sync logins, can you connect then?

I do know that we are looking into allowing you to change the DB name in SQL Server, not sure when it will be available. As I understand it that there will be some version restrictions with renaming it, i.e. must use versions x.x.x or newer clients (ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Server, etc.)

--- George T.
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

well, thanks for the info. the restore was required by a 3rd party software that runs stored procedures to update a couple of tables - that process was working fine in PROD and we wanted to replicate to give them a test environment

PaulCyr1
New Contributor III

Has this been fixed or a work around found yet? We also restored an enterprise geodatabase with a different name for a test DEV environment and are experiencing the same issue.