Table to Domain Tool crashes Arc Catalog (10.2.1)

10-10-2014 10:18 AM
BradAsbill
New Contributor

Hi,

I am taking an online course on how to create and maintain geodatabases.  In one exercise, I am using the table to domain tool, and after I input all of the parameters and hit ok, arc catalog crashes every time (this has happened several times).  There is no error message, it just closes.   Any thoughts on why this would occur?  If you need further information or screen shots, just let me know.  Thanks for your help.

8 Replies
ChadFoster
Occasional Contributor

Same thing is happening to me, 10.1 SP 1

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Is "Background Geoprocessing" enabled?

If yes, disable it and then try the tool.

0 Kudos
JanSlaats
New Contributor III

The Table to Domain tool still crashes ArcCatalog - I'm at 10.2.2.3552

Doesn't matter whether "Background Geoprocessing" is turned or on or off!

You'd think this is a pretty simple operation, but no, it's a show stopper!

PLEASE FIX THIS!

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Are you observing the crash on--

• Multiple machines?
  • with different Tables?
  • with different users?
0 Kudos
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

I'm actually using Table to Domain in ArcCatalog 10.2.2 without any issue. I'm bringing geodatabase tables into SDE as domains. Is it possibly the table type that may be causing the issue? What type of table is the source.

JanSlaats
New Contributor III

The Input Table comes from a File Geodatabase (version matches the current software).

Running the Table To Domain tool twice blew up ArcCatalog.

Trying the same Table To Domain tool on two other Tables from the same FGDB worked without any problems?!

When the tool worked, "Background Processing" was actually Enabled.

Anyway, it's unclear why this sometimes works and sometimes does not.

BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

Jan, that's interesting to know. It might be worth reporting to Esri, perhaps it's a bug. If the FGDB is small enough would you be willing to attach it to this thread, I'd be happy to try and replicate it on my end.

0 Kudos
JanSlaats
New Contributor III

Ben,

Thanks for the offer to try and replicate this issue, however, I can't share this FGDB due to confidentiality issues. This issue is one of those typical things we encounter in ArcGIS when the software just doesn't work, and I don't think its worth the time to log it as a bug.  Since Asrujit SenGupta (esri staff) is aware of it, maybe he can further investigate?