Table (full street address) convert to lat/long

Jump to solution
02-05-2018 10:02 AM
AlexP_
by
Occasional Contributor III

I have a spreadsheet/ attribute table - field full street address. How do I convert it into lat/long? Please advise.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

In order get the results you are after, you 'll need to geocode your table of addresses to some sort of "matchable" spatial data.  That can include but not limited to street centerline data.

Lets say your center line data has three records of S MAIN ST,and each is ranged respectively as 1-500, 501-1000, and 1001- 1500.

And lets say one of your addresses is 1234 S Main ST . The geocoder (that you build) matches the full address of 1234 S MAIN ST to the street centerline data record that has that house number within its range.  The trick is your street centerline data needs the various address components split out into individual fields:

Prefix = S

StreetName = MAIN

StreetType = ST

Obviously, your address table needs to be fairly 'clean', that is, for the best results your addresses need to be in the form that your matching data is in.

If you have and address of 1234 MAIN and you geocoder is looking for 1234 S MAIN ST, you will probably get a hit, but not a 100 % score.

That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Start here:

Geocoding a table of addresses in ArcMap—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
AlexP_
by
Occasional Contributor III

I understand. Thanks for the link. I was a bit confused between broken down fields and full street address field. I am aware that geocode builds multiple fields. Is there any way that geocode build full street address instead broken down fields? i.e. house number, dir, etc.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

In order get the results you are after, you 'll need to geocode your table of addresses to some sort of "matchable" spatial data.  That can include but not limited to street centerline data.

Lets say your center line data has three records of S MAIN ST,and each is ranged respectively as 1-500, 501-1000, and 1001- 1500.

And lets say one of your addresses is 1234 S Main ST . The geocoder (that you build) matches the full address of 1234 S MAIN ST to the street centerline data record that has that house number within its range.  The trick is your street centerline data needs the various address components split out into individual fields:

Prefix = S

StreetName = MAIN

StreetType = ST

Obviously, your address table needs to be fairly 'clean', that is, for the best results your addresses need to be in the form that your matching data is in.

If you have and address of 1234 MAIN and you geocoder is looking for 1234 S MAIN ST, you will probably get a hit, but not a 100 % score.