Structure many to many for relationship

01-14-2021 04:48 PM
Labels (1)
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

I am not sure where to post this question. So, please feel free to suggest a move if necessary.

The Environment: We are on ArcMap 10.6.1 with a versioned Oracle SDE

The problem: I have a polyline feature class that we have been asked to relate to a stand-alone invoice table. Each table has a feeder ID field with many records for each feeder id. So, each feature should be joined to all others with the same feeder ID. Also, the stand-alone table is read-only, as it is updated nightly by a batch job. 

I tried a many to many relationships with the Feeder IDs as keys so each row in the relationship table looks something like this:

RIDPOLYLINE_FEEDERIDINVOICE_FEEDERID
1SS1SS1
2SS2SS2

This works fine until one deletes one of the polylines. Let's say you delete one with a feeder ID of SS2. Then the system deletes the row RDI = 2, breaking the relationship between all other records with a feeder of SS2!

It would seem that my only option would be to relate each feature within a feeder ID to each invoice using global ID and invoice IDs as the keys. That way each time you delete a feature the system would only break the relationship for the deleted feature. Is there a better way to do this? It feels like this should be not quite this complex. 

Thansk!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi! It would be worthwhile reading this doc and seeing if 'relate' might be more relevant to what youre after.

Heres some esri documentation on the differences, it may or may not be helpful for your case

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/tables/joins-and-relates.htm

Good luck 🙂 

0 Kudos