SQL Server - Windows Authentication - Different User than logged onto client

Jump to solution
01-05-2018 08:46 AM
EricMahaffey1
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to create a windows authenticated connection to SQL Server using a different account that is logged onto the client?  I'm trying to build a map service that connects to data in SQL Server which has windows authentication only.  A domain service account is the preferred choice for connecting to the data rather than using my personal domain account.  I was hoping to use the "Create Database Connection" tool/script, however it doesn't allow me to enter domain account credentials when generating the connection file.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

If you author the map to use windows authentication, that will carry through to the service creation. As long as the account running ArcGIS Server has access to the SQL Server instance/data the service will render. You will need to register the OS Authentication to the database as a registered database in ArcGIS Server.

Adam Z

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

If you author the map to use windows authentication, that will carry through to the service creation. As long as the account running ArcGIS Server has access to the SQL Server instance/data the service will render. You will need to register the OS Authentication to the database as a registered database in ArcGIS Server.

Adam Z

EricMahaffey1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick response Adam.  I'll give that a try.  I was just assuming that the initial account used to make the DB connection would transfer when publishing the service.  It makes sense that the account running ArcGIS Server would make the connection once published.

0 Kudos
EricMahaffey1
Occasional Contributor

It worked like a champ once I added the GIS Server account to the DB, and defined select permissions.  Thanks again for the clarification Adam