SQL Server Report Server Databases show up in database drop down

03-28-2019 09:09 AM
TINAMORGAN
New Contributor II

I have a 2016 SQL Server instance created.  I have a single enterprise geodatabase in that instance.  When I add a database connection from ArcCatalog 10.6.1 I can see the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases in my dropdown list.  What should I change to remove those two databases from the drop down so that users only have the option to connect to the sde geodatabase?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

That is a good question. I would assume that it will show all the DB's available (EGDB or non-EGDB) in the Databases folder (green) in SSMS and is only going to ignore the System Databases folder (red). See my attached screenshot.

Good to see you are still in the Geodatabase world Tina Morgan‌!

--- George T.
TINAMORGAN
New Contributor II

Thanks George!  I accidentally fell in love with geodatabases

I'm glad you replied!  After I posted this I tinkered with it a bit more.  If you connect via ArcCatalog as a sysadmin user you will see those databases in the database connection drop down (even though the dbo user isn't explicitly mapped to those databases in user mapping).  If you use a non-sysadmin user to connect (like a data creator) then those databases will not show up, at least in my testing thats what I am seeing so far.  

It was just curious to me as I hadn't used those reporting services before.

Hope you are well!

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

That would make sense related to using the SYSADMIN user connection.

I have not tinkered with the reporting services is SQL Server before, so I have not even noticed.

--- George T.
0 Kudos