Spatial Index Grid Size(s) - ArcMap v ArcGIS Pro - fGDB v eGDB Oracle

11-07-2022 04:50 AM
Labels (2)
JamesMorrison1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Everyone

Use Case:

Point Feature Class (PtFC) in fGDB with 400,000 points covering an area 50km by 50km.

ArcCatalog 10.6 reports the PtFC has a Spatial Index but when I view the Grid Sizes it reports 0,0,0 (Add Spatial Index). If I open the data in ArcMap 10.6 the zooming and panning is very slow as expected. The default spatial index size is calculated to be 75,0,0. If I set these values all is ok.

If I open the same PtFC in ArcGIS Pro 3.0 (again with Grid Sizes 0,0,0) performance is ok. As the ESRI documentation states -  spatial grid values are deprecated in ArcGIS Pro.

When I copy the data with ArcGIS Pro (arcpy.management.Copy) into eGDB Oracle do the Grid Sizes no longer play a role when viewing the data in ArcGIS Pro?

I started with eGDB in 2006 and so have a close relationship with Grid Sizes over the years 🙂

Enlightenment welcome. Have I missed an obvious point?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Aled_Jones
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

I believe the spatial index is unique to each database location, if it detects a pre-built index, it is then dropped and recalculated: 

AledJon_0-1667825985978.png

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/add-spatial-index.htm

If you're not seeing adequate performance; I would rebuild this manually by running the remove spatial index tool and then Add spatial index (with the default values).

Let me know if this works!

0 Kudos
JamesMorrison1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you kindly for your feedback.

My question was more related that spatial grid values are deprecated in ArcGIS Pro. These values when the data is loaded from eGDB (Oracle) are no longer used?

select table_name,owner, gsize1,gsize2, gsize3 from sde.layers where owner ='ABC'  order by table_name;

So the values from sde.layers table are no longer used when viewing the data in ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos