Rules for GlobalID and GUID on Append

09-10-2019 11:11 AM
AllanBenvin_yyc
New Contributor III

So we do our own internal delta replication between our maintenance and published databases. We use GLOBALID as the key To preserve the GLOBALIDs on the target database we map these to a column called GLOBALID_GUID defined as type GUID. This all works quite well but we have come across a few details lately and so I thought I would document them here since I can't find anything in the ESRI documentation on this.

The issues arise when the source object is a spatial view that we are replicating. In the spatial view, since we can't control the field registration, any GLOBALID column gets defined as a text column. Now there are apparently some rules in the append fieldmapping that has an affect here. Unless your source column is formatted to look like a GUID value you can't append. The source TEXT column must have GUID like formatting with the value such as: '{29198462-0345-4EF2-AD65-0AB8D5B038FE}'. If you are lacking the correct number of characters, parenthesis or hyphens the data will not append. In one of our cases we had a spatial view that hacked a globalid value but used a different unique column without formatting the value. 

The table below shows what source data type can be appended to different target data types for GUID and GLOBALID type values.

Source/DestinationGLOBALIDGUIDTEXT
GLOBALIDNOYESYES
GUIDNOYESYES
TEXTNOMAYBE**YES
**Text can only be appended to GUID using fieldmap if the data is in GUID format{} with correct number of chars and -

**we can't use the preserveGlobalID setting as our datasets were created with an older version of ArcGIS and do not have the correct indexes.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies