Problem to open Mosaic Dataset created in 10.3.1 then edited in 10.5.1

09-14-2017 10:11 PM
MarkMindlin
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

We have noticed the issue:

Steps to reproduce:

- in ArcCatalog 10.3.1, create file geodatabase, create mosaic dataset, add raster jp2 to the mosaic dataset.

- in ArcMap 10.3.1, add data i.e. the mosaic dataset, make sure it works, remove data.

- in ArcMap 10.5.1, add data i.e. the mosaic dataset, open Footprint layer attribute table, start editing, edit field MinPS to value 1, save edits, stop editing, close the app.

- in ArcMap 10.3.1, try to add data i.e. the mosaic dataset, make sure an error message appears "Error opening mosaic dataset"

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Please post this as a new Question\Discussion, as this is not related to the issue being discussed above.

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-1087-creating-questions 

0 Kudos
Kathleen_Crombez

I disagree. The response from mabeykoon is completely relevant.

It has been determined that editing (or even opening) a 10.3 mosaic with 10.5 desktop modifies the data storage in a way that is not backwards compatible.

Mahinda is saying that this new keyword RASTERBLOB can be modified to BINARY (or BLOB) allowing the mosaic to once again be backwards compatible.

If this is true... (which i have not tested because we have already updated all our desktops to 10.5.1), then this should be considered the solution to being able to open the 10.5 mosaics in an older version of desktop.

I somehow missed this documentation when we ran into this issue.

And I wish I would have had a chance to test it before we upgraded our desktops.

But I believe this information would be extremely useful for others running into the same issue as the original post.

0 Kudos
MahindaAbeykoon
New Contributor III

Thank You, You understood it correctly.

This is exactly what I wanted him too to understand.

Our raster data is currently in Raster Dataset consuming 2 TB of space in SQL server. They were created in ArcGIS 10.3.1. Now we are upgrading to 10.5.1 and SQL 2016. I am creating Raster Mosaic. I will test this issue and post my result soon.

Thank you Kathleen again.

Mahidna

Kathleen_Crombez

Thank you.

Please keep us informed on your findings.

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

It has been determined that editing (or even opening) a 10.3 mosaic with 10.5 desktop modifies the data storage in a way that is not backwards compatible.

Can you show me where this was determined, that the Storage Type is altered when you view\modify from a higher version of ArcGIS Desktop? I agree, that opening the Mosaic Dataset in the higher version, makes some alterations, but it was never determined that the Storage Type was altered.

Also, the Storage type difference was mentioned for Oracle, PostgreSQL or SQL Server geodatabases only. It is not applicable for File gdb. However, if you check the original Post in this thread, the OP was using a File gdb and still facing the issue. 

File geodatabases also accept configuration keywords, but unlike with enterprise geodatabases, the configuration keywords have a standard predefined value. For more information about configuration keywords, see Configuration keywords for file geodatabases.

The most important factor, you are only focusing on the version of the ArcGIS Desktop, and ignoring the fact that the version of the SDE geodatabase matters as well. The suggestion of altering the Configuration Keyword to make it compatible with older versions, is ONLY applicable when you have a 10.5.x or above, SDE gdb (it is 10.3.x in your case).

This is the DBTune for a 10.3.x or 10.4.x gdb:

And this is the DbTune for a 10.5.x gdb:

The link provided by Mahinda Abeykoon‌, talks about altering this in a 10.5.x gdb, which is not your case.

My reason for asking to start a new Post was the difference in the above scenario. While he is going to create new Mosaic datasets, you guys already have existing ones, which you are facing issues with.

Anyway, just in case you are interested, the issue still occurs if you alter the Configuration Keyword in a 10.5 geodatabase and then create the MD using Desktop 10.5. For me, ArcGIS 10.4.x was still encountering the error and unable to use the MD.

0 Kudos
MahindaAbeykoon
New Contributor III

Okay guys,

I completed tests with 2 TB of raster data. Work around for backward compatibility of Raster Mosaic Dataset (RMD) is possible and resulting output is only for viewing RMD in both ArcGIS 10.3 and 10.5. No raster edit or cannot run raster functions in previous ArcGIS. I did it through following steps.

1. Exported the dbtune file from 10.5.1 database and change “ RASTER_STORAGE" from "RASTERBLOB" to “BINARY”. Then import it to the 10.5.1 database. I noticed raster storage is in binary by default If database is upgraded to geodatabase in ArcGIS 10.5.1. if this is the case no need to edit dbtune file.
  2. Stored all the raster TIF files in a location where both databases, ArcGIS 10.3.1 and ArcGIS 10.5.1 installed servers can access.
  3. Create RMD first in ArcGIS 10.3.1 geodatabase, and load raster and define and create overviews using full name path (UNC), not drive mapping path.
  4. Copy from 10.3.1 and paste to ArcGIS 10.5.1 geodatabase.
  5. Create a connection to this 10.5.1 geodatabase in the computer with ArcGIS 10.3.1.
  6. You will be able to view the raster mosaic data set in ArcGIS 10.3.1. and also in ArcGIS 10.5.1

Unfortunately, if you do not have Raster Extension you will not be able to publish these mosaic datasets.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator
0 Kudos