PostgreSQL9.4/PostGIS 2.1.7. with AGS 10.3/SDE enterprise multiuser

05-20-2015 02:57 AM
SandraToepsch
New Contributor

Greetings,

we intend to set up a new ArcSDE Geodatabase: ArcGIS Server 10.3/SDE enterprise multiuser based on PostgreSQL9.4 with PostGIS 2.1.7.

The ESRI Support stated that AGS 10.3 is tested with PostgreSQL9.3, but should also work with 9.4. So I was wondering whether there are users with practical experiences on this issue? Can you confirm that PostgreSQL9.4/PostGIS 2.1.7. works with AGS 10.3/SDE enterprise multiuser?

Thanks in advance, KR Sandra

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

I am not sure what was conveyed to you, however PostgreSQL 9.4 doesn't seem to be supported at 10.3.

PostgreSQL database requirements for ArcGIS 10.3.x—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The system requirements page only lists PG 9.1/9.2 (with PostGIS 2.0) and PG 9.3 with (PostGIS 2.1).

Unless PG 9.4 stopped building version constraints into library support, I don't see how the PG 9.3-specific build of st_geometry.so/st_geometry.dll could support PG 9.4.

- V

SandraToepsch
New Contributor

final statement: SDE set up as aimed for (see above) worked with PG9.3 but not with PG9.4,

thanks again for your reply, KR Sandra

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It doesn't really matter to Asrujit or me, since we're not eligible for any prizes, but it's a violation of GeoNet (and most online forum) 'netiquette to summarize other people's answers, then mark that as the Correct Answer, especially if the answer is not a synthesis of a long discussion with multiple participants.  The usual mechanism when multiple correct answers exist in a thread is to select the "best answer" (first, or most complete, or some other criteria), and mark other supporting answers as "Helpful".

SandraToepsch
New Contributor

Hi Vince,

I have learnt something, thank you.

It's true, I have never read through a forum's netiquette.

My practical view on this matter as following:

I had asked especially for practical experiences in combining PG9.4 with AsrcSDE10.3 because of the German ESRI Support statement "it should work, but it is not tested". This is why I placed my question here in the forum too, just for checking back. By your answers I understood you do not have it because you refered to ESRI system requirements and did not mention any practical experiences in this special case. Today we have tried the installation with PG9.4 practically for "it should work, but it is not tested". PG9.4 failed, afterwards the SDE setup with PG3.5 ran sucessfully. Then it was clear it does not work with PG9.4. Maybe I was not sufficiently detailed in my final statement. I will try to correct this here according to the "usual mechanism".

Thanks again, KR Sandra

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Sandra​ The Esri System Requirements links are provided to inform\confirm which Database Versions are supported with a particular ArcGIS Version.

We never practically tested PostgreSQL 9.4.x with ArcGIS 10.3, because it is not supposed to work. So there was no point in testing an unsupported configuration.

Anyway, we are glad to know that you got the PosgtreSQL 9.3.x configured and working correctly.

0 Kudos
MatsElfström
New Contributor II

Hi Asrujit!

The exact wording on this page

PostgreSQL database requirements for ArcGIS 10.3.x—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

is that the Minimum supported database versions are PostgreSQL 9.3.5 (64-bit) and PostGIS 2.1.

This could be interpreted so that later versions would work as well, but minimum should apparently be read only in this case.

When do you plan to release support for PostgreSQL 9.4?

Regards, Mats.E

AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Mats Elfström​ The word 'minimum' here indicates the 'minimum supported Base version'.

As you must have observed in that link, 9.1.x, 9.2.x and 9.3.x are all mentioned separately. Similarly whenever 9.4.x will be supported, it will be mentioned explicitly as well.

Take a look at the below for more information on this:

Supported Environment Policy - Esri Support

As of now, I have no information as to when PostgreSQL 9.4.x will be supported. 10.4 probably!?

MatsElfström
New Contributor II

Hi Asrujit and thanks for the clarification.

I see your point, but with the policy you linked to you risk being always one version behind the current.

In a situation, a cloud service for instance, it's not always possible to control the DBMS version being deployed, as opposed to when you run the DBMS in-house.

The reason I find this important is that I have been looking some time for the least common denominator for enterprise geodata storage in a mixed GIS/CAD environment. PostgreSQL/PostGIS is the strongest, and most priceworthy contestant so far. But I must also say that the ESRI products were the most difficult to connect yet, and the process involved a tedious search for pg driver files which must be manually copied to the right folders. Where QGIS, for instance, simply connected out of the box.

There are a large number of software products that can use PostGIS as a database backend, and I would not be surprised if this will evolve even more into an industry standard. I think ESRI would benefit from making an effort to support the current stable release as soon as possible.

This will be my final remark in this thread. Thanks for reading.

Regards, Mats.E

0 Kudos