Oracle Schema - register in SDE?

Jump to solution
08-24-2020 09:35 AM
robert_at_work
New Contributor III

Hi there,

we have an Oracle DB, an SDE schema and multiple data schemas.

It looks like the correct procedure is:

- create a new schema in Oracle

- apply "Create Geodatabase" tool in ArcMap using the newly created schema

It seems I missed the "create geodatabase" bit. We have already entered some data. But I have now noticed that the schema is not part of SDE (table sde.instances does not contain any reference to the schema).

Can I still "register" the schema in SDE?

I noticed a tool called "activate geodatabase" - but it doesnt seem to offer the option "SDE schema" as the tool "create geodatabase" has. 

Many thanks, Rob

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

No, you can't do that. You will have to drop the schema and all its data. Re-create the schema, create the User-Schema gdb(using the tool) for that schema and then load data into that schema.

However, do think about the way ahead for future. Now that creation of User-Schema geodatabase is not possible in the new versions of ArcGIS, do you still want to continue the same way like before or think of a different approach ahead. At some point, you may have to give this a thought.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

What version of ArcMap are you using?

What is the current version of the Oracle geodatabase?

If you are using a schema-geodatabase, that is something that we do not support creation of since (10.7 - i think); Upgrade a user-schema geodatabase—ArcMap | Documentation 

Also read the deprecation notice related to user-schema GDB's -http://downloads.esri.com/Support/downloads/other_/Deprecated%20Features%20Plan%20for%20ARCGIS%2010.... 

--- George T.
robert_at_work
New Contributor III

Hi George,

we have just updated from 10.5 to 10.7.1, Oracle is still 11R2. I dont think we have schema-geodatabase.
My predecessor left some notes on how to set up a new geodatabase (aka Oracle schema with data for a specific topic such as a wastewater network).
The notes mention that I need to apply the tool "create geodatabase" - I think I missed that step.
I just created an Oracle schema in Oracle and then created the table structure by means of a script (third party vendor). We also enabled versioning.
All fine - we an connect with ArcMap and load the feature classes, digitize features and all the rest. I see  that the digitized data is not in the base tables but still in the delta tables. And here the problem arises : I cant compress. There is an error message that I dont have the adminitrative priviliges to do so (error 9999999 - "user doesnt have permission to perform operation [SDE.DEFAULT]") - although I connect as the owner. In the geodatabase connection properties I noticed that the schema is set to "SDE" and not to the data schema - and the data schema is not available in the drop down list. My understanding is that the drop down list shows only schemas registered in SDE - and as I think I missed that step (creating a geotabase which also does some SDE related stuff) when I set the whole thing up I'm wondering whether I can perform that specific step now.

Rob

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Creation of User-Schema geodatabase is no longer supported. The last version to allow creation of a User-Schema geodatabase was ArcGIS 10.6.x.

Beginning with ArcGIS 10.7 and ArcGIS Pro 2.3, you cannot create user-schema geodatabases in Oracle.

Multiple geodatabases in Oracle—Geodatabases in Oracle | Documentation 

Create a geodatabase in Oracle—Geodatabases in Oracle | Documentation 

and the data schema is not available in the drop down list. My understanding is that the drop down list shows only schemas registered in SDE

It is available when User Schema geodatabases are created, which you can't anymore at 10.7.1.

There is an error message that I dont have the adminitrative priviliges to do so (error 9999999 - "user doesnt have permission to perform operation [SDE.DEFAULT]") - although I connect as the owner.

Try performing the Reconcile\Post and Compress operations, connected as the SDE user.

The geodatabase administrator in Oracle—Geodatabases in Oracle | Documentation 

0 Kudos
robert_at_work
New Contributor III

Hi,

the tool "create geodatabase" (the step I think I missed) ist still availiable in 10.7.1. Are we talking about the same thing here? Maybe I have translated the name of the tool incorrectly - the help file gives the python function call which is in english : 

arcpyarcpy.CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase_management

When I open open the documentation for the tool it does not mention anything about not being supported anymore.

Rob

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, we are talking about the same thing. The "Create Enterprise Geodatabase" tool is used to created the master SDE geodatabases and the User-Schema gdb (till 10.6.x). 

You can see the tool details here:

If you are using Oracle, the default value is sde. If you want to create a user-schema geodatabase inside an existing master sde geodatabase, specify the name of the user who will own the new geodatabase.

Create Enterprise Geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

When I open open the documentation for the tool it does not mention anything about not being supported anymore.

It does mention in the below link:

Create Enterprise Geodatabase—Help | Documentation 

Note:

Beginning with ArcGIS 10.7 and ArcGIS Pro 2.3, you cannot create user-schema geodatabases in Oracle.

0 Kudos
robert_at_work
New Contributor III

ok - interesting....

Now, I still have 10.5. installation here - can I fix my problem?

I dont want to create a "new" schema - I want to register an existing schema with SDE.

Is that possible (either 10.5. or 10.7)?

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

No, you can't do that. You will have to drop the schema and all its data. Re-create the schema, create the User-Schema gdb(using the tool) for that schema and then load data into that schema.

However, do think about the way ahead for future. Now that creation of User-Schema geodatabase is not possible in the new versions of ArcGIS, do you still want to continue the same way like before or think of a different approach ahead. At some point, you may have to give this a thought.