Oracle 12.2 connection from ArcGIS 10.5 or higher version

Jump to solution
08-14-2017 04:54 AM
ÖmerÜNSAL
New Contributor III

Hi,

Is there someone who can connect to Oracle 12.2 form ArcGIS 10.5 or higher version?

Do you know the time or version for this connection?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Okay, so it appears that Oracle 12cR2 support is now available with ArcGIS 10.5.1 builds with the ArcGIS 10.5.1 (Desktop, Engine, Server) Oracle critical issues and 12.2.0.1 support Patch applied.

- V

View solution in original post

9 Replies
VinceAngelo

The system requirements for 10.5.x don't mention Oracle 12.2 or 13.x. It's unlikely that Esri will announce a time when they will be supported. Contacting Tech Support to get on a list is your best recourse.

- V

VinceAngelo

Okay, so it appears that Oracle 12cR2 support is now available with ArcGIS 10.5.1 builds with the ArcGIS 10.5.1 (Desktop, Engine, Server) Oracle critical issues and 12.2.0.1 support Patch applied.

- V

GonçaloRevez1
New Contributor

Hi,

After aplying the patch, I tried to connect with ArcGIS 10.5.1 Desktop to Oracle 12.2 64bits (Enterprise Linux - Oracle Developer days virtual machine). 

The ArcGIS 10.5.1 Desktop create the database connection but when I select it to connect, the ArcGIS Desktop blocks and stays Not Responding.

I used several oracle client (and instant) both x64 and x32 (12.2 and 11.2.0.4 as it says on patch)

I can connect through sqldeveloper and sql plus easy connect.

Thanks,

Gonçalo Revez

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

This is probably something to discuss directly with Tech Support.  The alternative is to post a new question, giving lots of details on the exact OS and software, the exact PATH contents, and the exact procedure to produce the error.

- V

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What is the exact version of the Oracle database that you are trying to connect to.  You mention 12.2, but the ESRI patch documentation explicitly references 12.2.0.1.  Could it be that you are at a higher version of Oracle than 12.2.0.1?

ArcGIS 10.5.1 (Desktop, Engine, Server) Oracle critical issues and 12.2.0.1 support Patch 

0 Kudos
GonçaloRevez1
New Contributor

The release is 12.2.0.1, the same as the Patch.

An update:

I was trying connecting with system user.

I created a new user, and now I can connect to the Oracle, but the connection took 5 to 10 min to connect!

I just created one table to see it on ArcGIS 10.5.1 Desktop.

Thanks

Gonçalo Revez

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is the system user a user with elevated privileges to the database whereas a new user just has viewer privileges?  I'm asking because it seems odd that you could not make a connection with the system user. 

0 Kudos
GonçaloRevez1
New Contributor

Hi,

it seems some kind of priviliges that ArcGIS is trying to access.

With a simple user with grant connect session took 5 min.

With system user took more than 1 hour.

With sys user is immediatly.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

There are very few reasons to ever connect using ArcGIS as SYSTEM (it probably qualifies as a Worst Practice). This is especially true if the number of objects in the database is large, since connection time closely correlates to the number of objects visible by the user (and SYSTEM can see everything, including the thousands of demo/sample tables that should not reside in any production server).

- V

0 Kudos