New laptop saying the Geodatabase file is empty when it's not

Jump to solution
07-18-2021 05:30 PM
JacquelineTaylor
New Contributor II

Hi!

I created a layer on my desktop and I can't get it to work on my new laptop. The source data is correct, but when I go to 'set data source' it says the container is empty. So basically it's a Geodatabase file that won't open. I've tried about a million things so far. At my wit's end. 

I took GIS classes about a decade ago and now I'm about to start graduate school so I'm kind of starting from scratch. Any help would be much appreciated. The attachment should make more sense than I do right now. Thanks in advance!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would recommend creating a map package from your Desktop. Copy the package to laptop. And then extract the package in your laptop.

Think Location

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have both the desktop and laptop, locate the geodatabase using Windows Explorer and copy it to a usb drive and relocate it into the exact same folder structure that existed on the source machine.

... sort of retired...
JacquelineTaylor
New Contributor II

Thanks so much for trying to help me. I wasn't 100% sure how to do what you said, but I think it's something I've been trying all day, where I would upload the files in the same way, but it never worked. I did what Jayanta said and made a map package and it finally works. Seems so simple, I can't believe I didn't try that. I really appreciate you responding. Now I can get back to regular life 🙂

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would recommend creating a map package from your Desktop. Copy the package to laptop. And then extract the package in your laptop.

Think Location
JacquelineTaylor
New Contributor II

Thank you so much, that worked!!! I saw that hours ago but thought it was going to be shared with my school and didn't want to do that. I just didn't check those boxes and I think I'm good. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

0 Kudos