Need middle version when updating geodatabase from 10.0 to 10.6.1?

Jump to solution
05-07-2019 12:29 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

My org is in the midst of creating new enterprise geodatabases for our editors.  Part of that involves keeping their old Archiving data. We want to backup and restore the old db and restore it on a new instance and just have it as reference data for users to browse if they need it. We're using SQL Server for all of our databases.

On the doc page for upgrading (Upgrade an enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ) it mentions this line for upgrading to 10.6.1 from 10.0:

If your geodatabase is at release 10 or earlier, you must first upgrade to a supported geodatabase release before you can upgrade to the current ArcGIS release.

Does this mean I need to upgrade TWICE by upgrading the db using some middle version of the ArcGIS Desktop client and THEN upgrading to my target 10.6.1 version? The documentation doesn't go into much detail beyond what I have listed above and I would like to know. How does that work, if that is truly the case that I have to upgrade twice?

Thank you!

#sql server geodatabase#upgrade geodatabase

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You can upgrade to version 10.3:

Upgrade an enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

You can upgrade directly from a 9.3.1, 10, 10.1, 10.2, 10.2.1, or 10.2.2 geodatabase to a 10.3 geodatabase if your database is at a supported release.

Then you can upgrade from 10.3 to 10.6.x.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Derrick,

When you mention Archiving, are you referring to Geodatabase Archiving?  If you just need to preserve the data, and not necessarily versioning, geodatabase archiving, or permissions, instead of upgrading twice, you can create a new 10.6.1 Geodatabase and copy/paste the data from the 10.0 to the new 10.6.1 Geodatabase.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, I am specifically referring to Geodatabase Archiving. Our plan is to backup and restore the existing database onto a new server and just view it as reference data. Do you need to upgrade twice in this case, since it's a jump in versions from 10.0 to 10.6.1?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Yes, you would need to upgrade twice in this case.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

So which version do I need to upgrade to in the interim? Anything past 10.2? 10.5? Why wouldn't I be able to upgrade straight to 10.6.1?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

You can upgrade to version 10.3:

Upgrade an enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

You can upgrade directly from a 9.3.1, 10, 10.1, 10.2, 10.2.1, or 10.2.2 geodatabase to a 10.3 geodatabase if your database is at a supported release.

Then you can upgrade from 10.3 to 10.6.x.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Jake!

0 Kudos