Move a filegeodatabase with Windows Explorer. Why not?

Jump to solution
10-26-2016 02:42 PM
PitersonPaulgek
New Contributor III

Hi, 

Why it is recommended with ArcGIS? What is wrong if I just Copy/Past in Windows Explorer?

A comparison of file and personal geodatabase management—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Move a geodatabase.

Y

This should be done using ArcGIS.

Any consideration? Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

burrow deeper and there is this link File geodatabases and Windows Explorer—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

But... I do it all the time... just make sure your data are local and arcmap and any python processes using the data are shut down.  A good time to do this, is at the start of the day before you crack open arcmap

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

burrow deeper and there is this link File geodatabases and Windows Explorer—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

But... I do it all the time... just make sure your data are local and arcmap and any python processes using the data are shut down.  A good time to do this, is at the start of the day before you crack open arcmap

LanceShipman
Esri Regular Contributor

We recommend you use ArcCatalog to copy file geodatabase data because you can destroy your data when copying with Windows Explorer. There is no recovery. ArcCatalog handles that most common problems and avoids data loss. If you are sure that no process is using any part of the data you are unlikely to have any problems.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

except you have to do this all the time when sharing to other users, so I am sort of lost as to what you are referring to Lance