Migrating shapefiles to File Geodatabase failing

Jump to solution
05-26-2022 08:45 AM
rickstef
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I am trying to migrate shapefiles to a File Geodatabase.

When trying to export the shapefile to the GDB, I get the 000601error , I have no other application open, or file, so not sure why I am getting that error.

I have used both ArcMap and Pro, however the error occurs in Pro.

I created the FGDB by exporting an existing GDB to an XML file, and only using the schema option.  Is there something I need to do prior to loading data into the that FGDB.  I am using the schema from the legacy WaterDistributionNetworkA4W data model.  I have attached a copy of the data model in case anyone wants to recreate the work flow.

I have created databases in the past, but this time it has me stumped

Rick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rickstef
New Contributor II

I think I solved my own question, need to use the Append tool to add existing data to the new GDB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rickstef
New Contributor II

I think I solved my own question, need to use the Append tool to add existing data to the new GDB

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the update.

A file geodatabase is more of a container for feature classes. You could say it is like a folder for shapefiles.

The error you received was likely because the file geodatabase contained an existing feature class. A lock on the feature class was preventing you from overwriting the feature class in the geodatabase. It could be from a pending edit; or maybe your geoprocessing settings are set to not overwrite.

The append tool resolved the issue because it added the data to the existing feature class; it didn't overwrite it.

There is a big difference between exporting or running the feature class to feature class tool, and the 'append' tool. Say you have an existing feature class with 10 features and a new one with 30. If you append, you will end up with 40 features. If you export on top, you will replace the 10 features and have 30.

Hope this helps. 

rickstef
New Contributor II

Is there a way to check to see if overwriting is disabled, or where to switch it?

I can't recall if I have seen that.

0 Kudos
rickstef
New Contributor II

Thank you very much, this will help.

0 Kudos