Mid Point of a Polyline in SDE

12-19-2019 05:29 AM
AshokVanam1
New Contributor III

Posting this question for discussion and resolution to calculate the mid point of a Line/Polyline in  SDE.ST_Geometry on Oracle Spatial Database. This question is also posted in ArcGIS Ideas.Mid Point function in SDE.ST_GEOMETRY 

After exploring the Oracle Spatial functionalities and searching for similar problems in other blogs. I could able to create the custom function which calculates the mid-point of a polyline in SDE.ST_Geometry.

The methodology is as below:

- Convert the SDE.ST_Geometry object into Oracle SDO_GEOMETRY

- Use SDO_LRS capabilities of Oracle Spatial to find the mid point coordinate of a line geometry.

- Convert the returns Ordinates into SDE.ST_Geometry or WKT format

Is there are any other better way or options available within SDE? 

*  As this work around works only in Oracle

* The similar work around/custom function can be developed if the Enterprise Geodatabase is PostgreSQL/PostGIS ST_Line_Interpolate_Point 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Does this all have to be done within a database?  Have you seen https://community.esri.com/thread/116159 ?  (I know the titled has shapefile, but it broadly applies to geometry in ArcGIS clients)

0 Kudos
AshokVanam1
New Contributor III

Hi Joshua, thanks for responding to my question. I want to do this within the database rather in client. As this Oracle function needs to be used by other stored procedures in processing the data in the Oracle database.

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am glad you have something that works, or mostly works.  Good luck finding something better for server-side processing.