Microsoft OneDrive

03-14-2018 12:42 PM
SteveRhyne2
New Contributor III

I'm looking for some feedback on a scenario. I've encountered GIS users using DropBox as a means to manage their GIS files to make them shareable with other users and to improve data access efficiency. How DropBox works is when you point to a file location on a server, it uploads the files to your local drive under the DropBox folder. ArcMAP works more efficient accessing data locally versus having to VPN into the server which is very slow. At the end of the project it requires someone to manually update the server files. This process concerns me. The new scenario is to end using DropBox and go to Microsoft OneDrive which I think has similar functionality as DropBox, but I'm not 100% sure. My question is anyone using Microsoft OneDrive with your GIS files to manage data? If so, how are you using it? I also would like to hear from others why this may be a bad idea too.

Thanks for your feedback. 

14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I only use any cloudy thing to backup zip files of stuff being worked on.

Things get so confusing when people try to use data stored in any cloud thing as if it were a real drive.

Just don't.

Work local (if you can).  Then zip and backup to the cloud, download to where-ever, unzip and carry on,

Of course, this only works if you have a well-organized folder structure that keeps data and projects relative to one another and intact.

SteveRhyne2
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan. When you refer to local are you referring to an on-site server or personal computer?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

personal computer if you can and are allowed. I know this isn't possible in all situations, but it cuts out another link in the problem train

0 Kudos
SteveRhyne2
New Contributor III

Sorry, I don't think I was clear on my description. Multiple people need to access the same project Geodatabase or shapefiles, and working locally is something we are trying to avoid.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If they are not editing anything or adding anything, then I would go with your internal network rather than cloud, one drive locations.

0 Kudos
NorthPark
New Contributor III

Are these users all on the same network? What license level do you currently have? Are all just accessing the data or are multiple people editing?

0 Kudos
SteveRhyne2
New Contributor III

Yes, they are all on the same network. All are using Basic level licensing. Most of the time the users access the data at different times but they all refer to the same data. Nobody is editing at the same time.

0 Kudos
NorthPark
New Contributor III

SDE for SQL Express is included with Standard and Advanced licensing. Technically personal and file geodatabases are multiuser, however performance will suffer over time. If they don't need to see the edits someone is making immediately, you could set up a robocopy script to create and update a local copy nightly and just edit the network copy. I use robocopy scripts extensively to keep various hosting locations updated and for backup.

SteveRhyne2
New Contributor III

Thanks Eric! This gives me a direction I can look into. I appreciate the advice!

0 Kudos