Merging or appending data to existing feature class field

05-26-2021 06:29 PM
RomanFox
New Contributor II

I hope this is the correct location and a simple question.  I am looking to add or append data to an existing feature class field.  I have an existing feature class that contains an ID field and a "Special" field among others.  I have a standalone table with a ID field and a "Special" field.  The feature class has ~15,000 objects and the standalone table ~1,500.  I would like to use the ID in the stand alone to add the text in the data table's "Special" field to the feature classes "Special" field.  For example in ID 123 is in the standalone table with "existing" in the "Special" field, then I would like the feature class to show "existing" in the Special note for ID 123.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Use Join.

0 Kudos
RomanFox
New Contributor II

Can this be done without creating a new field?   I have used the Join Field tool.  However, it created a new field.  I would like to have the existing data in the text field remain and the new data from the standalone table added.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Use Append.
🙂

0 Kudos
Raj-Chavada
New Contributor III

Agreed that Append GP tool is the right tool for appending new data.

For updating existing records- take a look at this documentation https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/tables/relating-the-attributes-in-one-table-...

You may able to accomplish this by creating first Relate between FC and Standalone table in map document. Afterwards, you can use select by attribute followed by calculate field.

0 Kudos
RomanFox
New Contributor II

This has been helpful, I am stuck at the calculate field step with the sql expression.  I am trying to add the "Special" field to the "Appended" field if "Appended" is <NULL>.  Does this seem logical, and if so do you know of a resource for the sql or python expression?

0 Kudos