Is there any information on what the values in the SDE layers.layer_mask column might mean?

09-02-2017 06:35 AM
MikeDunham-Wilkie1
New Contributor

I've tried unregistering (sdelayer -o delete) and re-registering (sdelayer -o register) some feature classes with exactly the same entity mask, config keyword, etc. they had before and as a result their layer_mask value has changed from 128 to 192. For most other feature classes the unregistration/reregistration process leaves the value invariant. Just wondering if this is indicating that I'm missing something in doing the reregistration

0 Kudos
5 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Since this is a Geodatabase system table I would assume that the value is only relevant to that specific layer. Here is what the help days about that column:

Stores additional internal properties about the layer

System tables of a geodatabase in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS Desktop   look at the table for SDE_layers

--- George T.
MikeDunham-Wilkie2
New Contributor

Thanks - I saw that explanation but was wondering what specifically "additional internal properties" means.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

That information would more than likely not be public information, even within support.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

What is the version of the enterprise geodatabase which you are manipulating? What is the release of the admin binaries?

I haven't needed to use sdelayer -o delete in over a decade, possibly two, so I can't help but wonder why you need to use this (and fear for the integrity of your geodatabase).

- V

0 Kudos
MikeDunham-Wilkie2
New Contributor

Thanks Vince,  our geodatabase is at 10.2.  We use the sdelayer -o register, etc. commands to register feature classes with SDE, rather than registering with the geodatabase.  We do this since at version 10.2 you cannot register views with the geodatabase.  Next year we will be upgrading to 10.5 so at that time we will be able to finally abandon the sde binary commands.

0 Kudos