Is there an equivalent to versioned views for branch versioning?

Jump to solution
02-14-2019 08:26 AM
TheodoreRakel
Occasional Contributor

My client is moving from traditional versioning (SDE) to branch versioning of data.  We have custom code that makes use of versioned views to perform nightly updates on versioned data.  Is there an equivalent to the versioned views that get created in SDE (featureclass_evw) in branch versioning?  Is it even supported to make changes to branch versioned data using SQL or do I need to use a feature service?  This is for Arc GIS 10.6.1. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

It does not look like a versioned view is created with branch versioning. The edits need to be made via the feature service and Enterprise/Server.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
George_Thompson

You cannot utilize branch versioning in ArcMap 10.6.1. This is something that is only Pro based, since it is edited via services.

Enterprise data management strategies—Geodatabases | ArcGIS Desktop 

Limitations of branch version include the following:

• Can be used only in ArcGIS Pro and edited only with feature services.
  • Simple features and the utility network are currently the only datasets available for editing through branch versioning. If you would like to edit topology or a network dataset in a versioned environment, you'll have to work with traditional versioning.
  • Allows only one editor per branch version or multiple readers. Once an editor begins editing within a branch version, an exclusive lock is obtained and no further users can connect to the version.

Overview of versioning—Geodatabases | ArcGIS Desktop 

Register data as versioned—Geodatabases | ArcGIS Desktop 

Enterprise GIS

--- George T.
0 Kudos
TheodoreRakel
Occasional Contributor

Sorry I didn't mean using Arc Map.  My client is moving to Pro.  They have a console application that updates some attributes on a feature class each night.  The console app uses SQL against versioned views to perform the updates to features.  I am wondering if I can still use SQL to update features after they are versioned as 'branch versioned' or if I MUST use a feature service to perform the updates.  If there was something like a versioned view available, I could keep most of the console application the same as it is now.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

It does not look like a versioned view is created with branch versioning. The edits need to be made via the feature service and Enterprise/Server.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
TheodoreRakel
Occasional Contributor

I think you're correct.  The feature service seems to take the place of the database versioned view.  Thanks

0 Kudos