Is there a way to grant insert and update permissions to a user in arccatalog without granting delete permissions also?

Jump to solution
08-04-2016 06:56 AM
JeffSauder
Occasional Contributor

I am setting up a collector app for field workers and I don't want them to have the ability to delete anything, just to add or change features.  I noticed that there are separate boxes for Insert, Update, and Delete in the dialog where permissions are set, but the 3 boxes turn on or off simultaneously, without giving the administrator the ability to set them individually.  Is there any way around this?  It seems like with the 3 separate boxes you should be able to do this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BirajaNayak
Esri Contributor

Hi Jeff,

As far my knowledge goes, Arccatalog does not have option to add privileges insert and update only without delete.  All 3 selected at the same time. The reason being, in versioning editing environment, when you update any feature, there will be a delete first and record inserted in D table and then add feature with updated information and inserted row in A table of that feature class.

Thanks,

Biraja

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BirajaNayak
Esri Contributor

Hi Jeff,

As far my knowledge goes, Arccatalog does not have option to add privileges insert and update only without delete.  All 3 selected at the same time. The reason being, in versioning editing environment, when you update any feature, there will be a delete first and record inserted in D table and then add feature with updated information and inserted row in A table of that feature class.

Thanks,

Biraja

0 Kudos
JeffSauder
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Biraja, that does make sense.  I was trying to put together a workflow that wouldn't allow delete, but I did see that I could only select the separate permissions when the dataset wasn't versioned.  I didn't think about the versioning schema when I started planning this

0 Kudos
BirajaNayak
Esri Contributor

Hi Jeff,

You can submit your suggestion in ideas site

as an enhancement request and other user vote for it. Esri development team is very active in ideas site and they consider ideas with more votes.

Thanks,

Biraja

0 Kudos