I have a calc that takes 2 fields and concatenates them together in a new field to use for symbology. Then I was told that the fields used are dynamic. Therefore I need the ability where if a person changes a field used in the concatenation it automatic

02-24-2020 01:17 PM
JohnPavek
New Contributor II

Put it here in case it got clipped...I have a calc that takes 2 fields and concatenates them together in a new field to use for symbology.  Then I was told that the fields used are dynamic.  Therefore I need the ability where if a person changes a field used in the concatenation it automatically changes the calced, combined field with the new info.  I have access to ArcGIS 10.5 thru 10.7 products...the DB is currently 10.2.2 but we will upgrade that soon.  Any ideas?   I know this may not be the perfect publish location but I don't know where else to post it

0 Kudos
19 Replies
JohnPavek
New Contributor II

Ok...it appears I need to take a class on things with GeoNet :-).  I tried to use it when it first came out but it was very useless to me because not many people replied to what you put out.  Now that seems to have changed.

So Joe...do you recommend I go back and use the highlighter to put the code into the thread, start a new thread using the highlighter or just leave alone for now?  As programming/coding is my weakest point I need as much help as I can get

Thanks for everything Joe.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You can edit the original post that has the zip file attached, pasting the code into a syntax highlighter box within the body of the message.  Ironically, I have been involved with a discussion for the new Geonet and in one of my posts, suggested a FAQ how-to sort of page.....

That should just about do it....
JohnPavek
New Contributor II

Ok...I'll give it a go.  Do you have a suggestion on how I can get some more responses on my raster to mosaic post?

Do you have any further comments about the original question esp with Asrujit suggestion for a trigger?  Do you have an example of a trigger you might of done?

Thank for everything Joe!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I've used triggers in the past, but it's been a while: they are on the SQL side, not the ArcGIS side you you'll need DBA creds.  Pretty sure if you do a search on Triggers or SQL Triggers you'll find something; I posted what I had done but it'll be ancient.  There should be a solution that avoids a SQl trigger. 

I notice your other post received a response; I'm not much help as I don't work with mosiacs....

0 Kudos
JohnPavek
New Contributor II

I'm in the same situation...done them awhile ago and don't remember much.  I haven't found much about avoiding triggers 🙂

Yeah but I wish I was receiving more help on that and reach a wider audience.  We are at our programming limits so we really need more help.  Well as the saying goes...beggars can't be choosers. 🙂

Thanks Joe for everything

0 Kudos
JohnPavek
New Contributor II

Hi all.

I got some good info from Joe and Asrujit.  But unfortunately it isn't enough for me to get going.  I've tried a bunch of google searches but can't find anything definitive.  Does anybody know of a ESRI doc or something that shows how to do action with triggers esp to do a calc when something changes in a field to calc another field?  I keep getting ESRI stuff relative to Tracking Analyst which we don't have.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Use the geonet search function for 'sql trigger'; you'll find a ton of results.  However, I'm not sure that ESRI supports triggers (don't quote me) so another alternative might be attribute rules....

JohnPavek
New Contributor II

I'm dealing in anywhere from 10.5 to 10.7.1.  I think attribute rules are an ArcGIS Pro thing.  I'm starting to think this has to be an ESRI Tech Support call in.  I may be trying to do something not possible with the version I have.

Thank Joe for the info you can give

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Sorry-  I'm only thinking Pro these days;  I don't even have ArcMap/ArcCatalog installed.  At any rate, you might also take a look at Attribute Assistant | ArcGIS Solutions ; I used it for a project a couple of years ago; it's more or less the predecessor to attribute rules.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have the ability to work in Pro?

If so, can you have the data updated at night via python/modelbuilder for the next business day and use Arcade for the concatenated field symbology (Not sure Arcade can be tied to symbology but Arcade is pretty powerful so it could be an area to research)?