I have a calc that takes 2 fields and concatenates them together in a new field to use for symbology. Then I was told that the fields used are dynamic. Therefore I need the ability where if a person changes a field used in the concatenation it automatic

02-24-2020 01:17 PM
JohnPavek
New Contributor II

Put it here in case it got clipped...I have a calc that takes 2 fields and concatenates them together in a new field to use for symbology.  Then I was told that the fields used are dynamic.  Therefore I need the ability where if a person changes a field used in the concatenation it automatically changes the calced, combined field with the new info.  I have access to ArcGIS 10.5 thru 10.7 products...the DB is currently 10.2.2 but we will upgrade that soon.  Any ideas?   I know this may not be the perfect publish location but I don't know where else to post it

0 Kudos
19 Replies
JohnPavek
New Contributor II

I'm not seeing much action on this.  Do I have it in the right area?  If not can somebody recommend where it should go?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

First off: how or when is this calculation being performed?  You seem to imply your third field needs to be dynamic as the other fields apparently are.  This might be a case for Introduction to attribute rules—Geodatabases | Documentation  but without a little more insight, that may or may not be the route to take.

That should just about do it....
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Multiple things come to mind:

• Is using a View a possibility, as that will be dynamic?
  • What about a Trigger, whenever any of the two fields are updated...the third field should be updated automatically.
  • How many records are involved and frequency of change? Is it possible to run the calculate everyday (whatever suits your need) and then use the updated data? Probably can be done from the Database end too...

Have you already tried something and observed any issues?

On a side note: The question in the thread, need not be the entire question in itself. It should a small synopsis probably to give an idea. A lot of people ignore questions\threads, which are not formatted properly.

JohnPavek
New Contributor II

Well it is not a view and we are dealing with daily change on 81,354 features.  Because the symbology is built using Z whatever change is done in X & Y have to be reflected in Z.  I haven't used triggers in a long time maybe that is what we need.  I can explore that.  

Ok about your side note...but how am I going to really give info enough to make sure people have what they need to answer?  I guess they can just ask questions.  I just wanted to minimize the back and forth as we all are busy.

0 Kudos
JohnPavek
New Contributor II

After thinking about it...I haven't used triggers in a while.  But I have a couple questions:

- I assume you are referring to a database trigger or are you thinking something within ArcCatalog or ArcMap?

- Could you provide an example of a trigger?

Thanks for everything!

0 Kudos
JohnPavek
New Contributor II

Thanks for the replies to Joe and Asrujit!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

As Asrujit SenGupta‌ suggests: try to keep your thread titles to a minimum.  Yes, we are all busy, but for me, I'd rather get a teaser of a title and open the thread than get bored reading a lengthy one and move on before finishing it...

0 Kudos
JohnPavek
New Contributor II

I just put another thread out for a coding issue.  I will try from here on to be better about this 🙂

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

my suggestion for that title would be:

Python: Need help converting Tifs into a Mosaic  or 

Need help converting Tifs into a Mosaic with Python 

and then fill us in with the details in the body of the thread.

Also, personally I never open a .zip file from anyone I don't know, no offense, just business.  If you want to post code, use the syntax highlighter described here: https://community.esri.com/message/903148-re-arcmap-105-python-script-error?commentID=903148#comment...