How to interpolate temperature data (kriging) with DEM file?

02-01-2017 11:39 AM
JarekLewandowski
New Contributor

I would like to do the interpolation using DEM file. I do it in SAGA GIS. I have a station layer with temperature data and I attach DEM file to do Universal Kriging (Global). I put the screenshot below:

Now, I would like to tranlate this procesure into ArcGIS 10.4. I am not very familiar with the software. Where can I find a type of kriging where I could directly add DEM file as the other source data for interpolation? Can you help me?

esri arcgis‌kriging interpolate z

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

do the interpolation using DEM file

!!? Do you know that we use interpolation methods for creating DEM ?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am not sure exactly what you want to do, but when you mention two variables... perhaps Understanding cokriging—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

ShouvikJha
Occasional Contributor III

Dan_Patterson‌ I am also very interested to know the same answer, 

Actually here user performing interpolation of temperature data, while he trying to execute condition file as topography because temperature profile is changing according to height of topography. So how we can put the topography as a condition raster while performing Interpolation. 

EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor

If you have ArcGIS 10.4, you should also have access to ArcGIS Pro 1.2 (or even a more recent version of ArcGIS Pro).  If you have a Geostatistical Analyst license, there is a tool in ArcGIS Pro starting in version 1.2 called EBK Regression Prediction.  It allows you to perform Empirical Bayesian Kriging using rasters as explanatory variables.  In your case, you would provide the temperature feature class and the field to interpolate, then use the DEM as an explanatory variable raster.  This will build local simple kriging models where the mean value of the model is defined by building a regression equation between the temperature values and the DEM values.

You could also try cokriging, as Dan_Patterson recommended, but I strongly suspect that you will get a more accurate interpolation from EBK Regression Prediction than from cokriging.

Oliver_Burdekin
Occasional Contributor II

Is it possible to access a tool once without having to shell out for the full geostat license through Pro (i.e. consume AGOL processing credits?) I know some processing is handled this way and paid for datasets consume credits. On the ESRI store it only seems possible to have a license for a full year which would cost around 1000 GBP for what would likely equate to a few days use for a single project.

0 Kudos