How to create a one-way replica from a FGDB to ArcSDE

Jump to solution
08-08-2017 07:42 AM
JohnBroecher
New Contributor III

Is there anyway to create a one-way replica of a FGDB to ArcSDE. I want the FGDB to be editable, and the ArcSDE replica read-only.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

No, the scenario you mention is not possible.

To create a replica, the Parent gdb has to be SDE.

In 1-way Parent to Child: Parent is ArcSDE and Child can be File\sde gdb. But the editing will be in the Parent sde gdb.

In 1-way Child to Parent: Both the Parent and Child have to be an sde gdb.

In 2-way replica: Both have to be an sde gdb.

So your only option remains, creating a Checkout Replica....but in this scenario, you will have to recreate replica after every synchronization process.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

No, the scenario you mention is not possible.

To create a replica, the Parent gdb has to be SDE.

In 1-way Parent to Child: Parent is ArcSDE and Child can be File\sde gdb. But the editing will be in the Parent sde gdb.

In 1-way Child to Parent: Both the Parent and Child have to be an sde gdb.

In 2-way replica: Both have to be an sde gdb.

So your only option remains, creating a Checkout Replica....but in this scenario, you will have to recreate replica after every synchronization process.

JohnBroecher
New Contributor III

I was afraid of that. This is even if you make a GeoData Service out of the FGDB?

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, I believe so. However I'll let one of the Server Experts on the forum to confirm that and suggest any other solution if possible. 

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm not an expert, but was playing around with replicas and check-outs a couple months ago and here are a few links that I found helpful