Hang on Regularize Building Footprints

01-03-2017 02:34 PM
AndrewVanWie
New Contributor

I have extracted building footprints from raster imagery using image classification in ArcGIS Desktop and Spatial Analyst, using the training sample manager and 4-band imagery. However, when I now try to run the extracted footprints through Regularize Building Footprints in 3D Analyst, it gets hung up. I don't know if it is the polygonalized raster footprints and their complexity or if the tool itself has issues. It hangs at the same 7% complete every time and I need to force quit ArcGIS and reboot my machine to get rid of the hung process. I've tried filling holes, aggregate, and generalizing, to no avail. Same thing happens with the tool in ArcGIS Pro.

Anyone have issues with Regularize Building Footprints? Or is there a process that will get my footprints through?

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
9 Replies
KhalidDuri1
Esri Contributor

It sounds like the operation is getting stuck at a particular feature. Is it possible for you to share this data?

AndrewVanWie
New Contributor

Not likely. When I group the features into separate feature classes containing no more than 60-70 features, all run through the tool just fine. However, this is not ideal with thousands of features, it should run all through at once.

0 Kudos
ArthurCrawford
Esri Contributor

Hello Andrew,

I have some questions on your data input, I regularly run about a hundred thousand features at a time.   If I have issues, I usually run a Multipart to Singlepart, then a Repair Geometry.  How many buildings are you trying to process?   What is the memory of your computer (mb) and how many processors do you have?   I have been processing on a system with 32gb of ram and 4 cores.    Regularize Building Footprint tool is pretty intensive tool, I would try lowering the amount of input if you have over 100,000 features.     For large datasets, I usually break it up under 100,000 and it still takes over an hour to run with 4 processors running at max.  I have a tool that's on my blog that might help with dividing features up into circles, small, medium and large features to process differently,  Arthur’s Feature Extraction from LiDAR, DEMs and Imagery.   I assume your data is in meters, for now my tool is set up to work on feet projection.

Khalid can help you, if you can share an example of your polygons with him.

Thanks,

Arthur Crawford - Esri

AndrewVanWie
New Contributor

Hi Arthur, thanks for the reply. Yes, I've been on your blog lately but have not run through your exact process, as I'm new to footprint extraction with ArcGIS. I'm on a new hp z640 workstation with 6 physical cores hyper-threaded to 12, 32 GB RAM with 1.2 TB Intel SSD 750 Series PCIe NVMe drive. Running ArcGIS Desktop 10.4.

My initial dataset was just 4,700 buildings. It freezes at 2% complete. I broke it down to 102, and it freezes at 83% complete. I took that down even further to 2 datasets of 51 features each, and they ran through just fine without freezing. I've tried several more datasets and it seems to not process more than around 70 features without freezing.

I've got a case # in with ESRI support and I've done a repair on ArcGIS Desktop. Didn't solve the problem. I sent them my data and they were able to get it to run just fine. I'm running completely local, no network processing. I've also tried running on another workstation and had the same problem. So, I'm wondering if there is some configuration that I'm missing? I've never had any problems with tools before.

Andrew

0 Kudos
ArthurCrawford
Esri Contributor

Try exporting your features to shapefile and then run it as the input.    There has been a few times with the dozens of counties I have extracted when the Raster to Polygon tool conversion has created features that have issues that this seems to fix.

Arthur

AndrewVanWie
New Contributor

I've tried that as well. I've disabled background processing. I've uninstalled 64-bit background processing. My Intel SSD is a secondary drive, so I've also tried running from my primary C drive, which is also an SSD PCIe NVMe drive. This is really driving me crazy! 

Is there a processing log that I can access that will tell me where it is crashing?

0 Kudos
AndrewVanWie
New Contributor

Here's a good one...  I've tried running this process on 6 different workstations now. I had 2 of our 3-year old hp z420's and 4 of our new hp z640's run the exact same process on the exact same dataset, copied locally to each. The process froze on all of the new z640's and the process ran perfectly on the older z420's.

Is there an issue with hardware?  I've uninstalled and reinstalled on my z640 workstation. I don't get it.

0 Kudos
KhalidDuri1
Esri Contributor

Hello Andrew,

We've identified the cause of the problem and will implement a fix at 10.5.1 and Pro 2.0.  The tool's implementation of parallel processing was encountering an issue when the tool is executed on a number of processors that is not equal to a power of 2 and the number of processed features is a large number (can vary from machine to machine). The workaround would be to specify the number of processors in the Parallel Processing environment settings for geoprocessing to a number that is a power of 2 (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc...).

Let me know if that works for you.

Regards,

Khalid

0 Kudos
timothystevenson_mesa
New Contributor II

0 Kudos