Geodatabase Domain - Cannot Select Domain within Feature Class Attribute Field

Jump to solution
03-20-2015 06:44 AM
KenricMcCay
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I attached pictures to help ask my question.

I have a Geodatabase, and I created a Domain.  I did right click->Properties and chose the "Domains" tab.  The domain I created is a Coded Value, and I chose Text for the Field Type.  I was able to easily type in the information within the Geodatabase, but I cannot do anything within the Feature Class.

Domain2.JPG

I then did right click->Properties and chose the "Fields" tab for the feature within the Geodatabase.  Within this tab, I cannot select anything such as adding in a new Field Name or selecting a domain.  I also cannot update the current field names to choose a current domain.  I completed a tutorial yesterday, and I was able to do that with their data.  I would like to try to create a new Field Name, but I cannot even type there to add it in.

Domain.JPG

Does anyone know what is going on, and what I can do to fix it?  Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

No, the Basic should not be an issue.

Create a new copy of that File geodatabase from ArcCatalog and then try.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

What kind of geodatabase are you working with -- File gdb, SDE gdb...?

The Feature Class whose schema you are trying to modify, is that being used by anyone else when you are trying this?

Make sure that nobody else is accessing that Feature class and then try again.

KenricMcCay

I am using a File Geodatabase.  Also, this database is not being used by anyone else except for me.

0 Kudos
KenricMcCay

Asrujit SenGupta

Just curious, it wouldn't have to do anything with my license level would it?  I'm on Basic (ArcView).

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

No, the Basic should not be an issue.

Create a new copy of that File geodatabase from ArcCatalog and then try.

0 Kudos
KenricMcCay

Update:

It looks like it is just that particular Geodatabase.  I created a new one and added in a feature to test the new one and everything works fine.  I'm the only user for the Geodatabase that has the issue.  Any idea on this?

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

Based on what you described it sounds like there was a lock on the File Geodatabase.  I would ensure that the feature class is not being accessed in ArcMap while you are attempting to add fields or assign a domain to a field.

KenricMcCay

Thank you for responding Kyle.  I'm not sure but it seems like something was being accessed in that Geodatabase.  I closed all my programs, and it still would not work.

The solution was to create a new Geodatabase, and I do not have any issues now.  Thank you for helping!