gdb_items table can't see joined columns

Jump to solution
01-05-2017 04:58 AM
deleted-user-0W0-oLHxDjCX
New Contributor III

Hello everyone

After have made a materialized join on a feature class I was looking for some update on gdb_items within PostgreSQL but I just saw the very old structure before the join on PostgreSQL.

Could someone tell me if there is any command that must be done to update this table in a way I could make changes (I.E: On my alias within the description field)?

Best regards

Ezequias

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

The main reason for way to make changes in the gdb_items table or really any geodatabase system table via an ArcGIS client is due to the dependencies in other system tables for each record.

I can tell you from personal experience and helping our customers, that some people make modifications to these tables incorrectly and it will corrupt the entire geodatabase with no way to recover, unless you have a backup from before the change was made.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
George_Thompson

I am not sure that you will see any information in the gdb_items table on a "joined" field to a feature class or object listed. The gdb_items table is specifically for the geodatabase repository table. Joins either persist in a map document or in a SQL view (DB view).

Look at the fields for the gdb_items table in PostgreSQL: System tables of a geodatabase in PostgreSQL—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

The only way to update this table, correctly and more importantly safely, is via an ArcGIS client (UI or Python)

Let me know if I missed what you are asking.

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/enterprise-gis?sr=search&searchId=dadd81d2-230f-4b8d-b8a5-9...

--- George T.
deleted-user-0W0-oLHxDjCX
New Contributor III

Dear George

I think you got the point. The more secure way to perform any changes of a Geodatabase structure (schema,alias,etc) is via ArcGIS Desktop or via Python.

I am sad about that because even on ArcGIS Desktop or on Portal this procedure is too slow if you have many elements to configure.

Anyway. Thank you so much for your information.

Sincerely

Ezequias   

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

The main reason for way to make changes in the gdb_items table or really any geodatabase system table via an ArcGIS client is due to the dependencies in other system tables for each record.

I can tell you from personal experience and helping our customers, that some people make modifications to these tables incorrectly and it will corrupt the entire geodatabase with no way to recover, unless you have a backup from before the change was made.

--- George T.