Features not snapping while editing SDE Geodatabase

3318
6
03-19-2015 03:25 PM
Highlighted
New Contributor III

I have set up an Enterprise Geodatabase on SQL Server. I migrated from a Personal SDE Geodatabase to an Enterprise Geodatabase using by importing and XML Workspace Document in order to have multiple editors. Everything seems to be working fine, the Edit Sessions are starting reasonably quickly and saving quickly, but the only thing that doesn't seem to be working is snapping. I checked all the common settings. All the snapping settings are turned on. The snap tolerance is set to the default 10 pixels which always seemed to work previously. I am at a loss at this point. The snapping is rather important due to the fact we are working on a Fiber Network.

Thanks.    

Reply
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor III

Oddly for some reason when I restarted my computer and Restarted ArcMap this morning, it was working perfectly....

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

I restarted and it did NOT resolve the problem - I cannot get the snapping to select points or vertices when performing edits or creation of features. I've tried editing both our versioned enterprise geodatabase, and my personal editor geodatabase (on a networked drive) and the behavior is the same. This used to work, but I have recently upgraded our system to 10.4 and I believe something has changed. All the snapping settings are on; "classic snapping" does not make a difference.

I wonder if the snapping is on but just incredibly slow (cursor "recycle" spins a lot during movement of vertices). I also am getting an ArcMap drawing error after I append features from my personal gdb to our egdb ("bad connection handle").

Is this a database connection setting?

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Joe,

Can you verify the feature extents of the layers in the map document?

Can you also rebuild the spatial indexes of the layers in the map document?

Thanks,

Sam

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Data frame extent set to "Automatic"

All layers have extents roughly equivalent to our district boundary, or smaller if they have less features.

Interesting you mention the spatial indexes; I found this thread:Issue with snapping and performance speed  and went down the path of copying/pasting all the feature sets with keyword "SDEBinary" to enable SDE as the geometry storage type instead of the SQL spatial type (we are using SQL Server 2012). I can see that all of the new feature sets have spatial indexes, and I didn't know how to do this as a batch operation to all the feature sets in our EGDB, so I didn't do this.

Can you point me in the direction of being able to update all the spatial indexes as a batch operation?

Am I screwing with processes that should have been documented and performed by IT when they upgraded to 10.4?

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Joe,

At this point, I would avoid converting any data to SDEBinary. I should have been a little more clear with my second question above. We have a geoprocessing tool that rebuilds the spatial indexes and you simply provide the data owner database connection file.

Rebuild Indexes—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

-Sam

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Bummer - I already converted most of our data to SDEBinary. I lost some related table connections, like attachment tables. Looks like I might need to perform a restore. Luckily our system has been so unreliable for so long no one is currently using it - that's what I'm trying to fix.

I thought I was familiar with the tool; I only saw the option to process feature classes one at a time. Thanks for the link. I'll look into it.

IT just got me permissions to request support cases again (I lost permissions when the new support site launched). You've been very helpful, Samuel. But I may need to step this issue up to a support request.

Reply
0 Kudos