Feature Class suddenly became corrupt when Join Field tool failed

11-19-2018 12:44 PM
Highlighted
New Contributor III

In ArcGIS Desktop 10.2, I used arcpy code in the Python interpreter to run the arcpy.JoinField_management tool, to join 2 fields from another table.  For no apparent reason, the tool failed with the error "General Function Failure." 

But this is the really weird part: Exactly as that happened, I was watching the attribute table of the target feature class which I had open, and I saw all the records vanish!  Suddenly ArcMap was no longer able to draw that layer.  I still see the feature class in the catalog, but I can't add it to a new map, view its properties, or do anything with it now.  When I try to add it to a new map, I get "error opening feature class." This is mind boggling.  I tried closing and restarting ArcMap, but that didn't help.  Anyone know why this would happen or how to get my data back?  I may just have to look for a backup version of the data...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I may just have to look for a backup version of the data...

Probably your best bet...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

10.2 isn't even on support any longer.  I suspect you will have to see if that particular issue was ever reported

Esri Support Home 

If there was a workaround or what version it was 'fixed' would be noted.

I suspect that you will need a backup in the interim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

I have this exact same problem. Running 10.5.1. It has only started occurring since we moved our servers to Azure.  Once the join is done, the dataset that is corrupted has a modified date of 01/01/1970 00:00:00

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esri Contributor

Matthew- Check to see if you can find a backup of the feature class, make a copy, and test the join again to determine if you can reproduce the behavior. Please log a tech support case with the data for review.

Halil Siddique‌ - Is your feature class in an enterprise geodatabase (Azure SQL Database)? Is the behavior reproducible with the same feature class in a file geodatabase? Please log a tech support case for the behavior to be reviewed.

0 Kudos