Failed to connect to database. Underlying DBMS error[IM002:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specifiedNo extended error.]

Jump to solution
09-13-2018 02:36 AM
Peter_Green
New Contributor III

Failed to connect to database. Underlying DBMS error ODBC driver. ArcGIS for Server 10.4/ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1/SQL Server 2014.

We have a new user in the GIS team. They have been added to the SQL roles required to read and edit objects in the enterprise databases (Windows Active Directory). The rest of the team have these roles and use an operating system connection to the databases to read and edit.. The new user was given the existing operating system connection files.

When the new user tries to connect to the databases using the operating system connection in ArcMap or ArcCatalog they get an error
"Failed to connect to database. Underlying DBMS error[IM002:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specifiedNo extended error.]" 
 When I give the new user  a database connection they can connect. Just not with the operating system connection they need to edit the objects in the databases. Existing users in the gisreader and giseditor SQL roles can sucessfully connect with the same operating system connection file.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Green
New Contributor III

This was resolved. I pinned down our IT Partners, who created a new test Windows Account. This account was given the operating system connection files and could successfully connect to the databases with the connections. The new member of staff whose account could not connect had their Windows account disabled and re-created, were given the connection files and still could not connect.

The new member of staff's Windows Account name was 16 characters long. We created another new account, reducing the length of characters to 15. This new Windows account can connect using the connection files succesfully.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Marc... I certainly don't work in a shared environment, but a keyword search on help leads to some sections in the help files relating to database access, privileges.  I will just throw it out here

Grant and revoke dataset privileges—Manage geodatabases in SQL Server | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
Peter_Green
New Contributor III

I should add that after some testing the user account can connect to the SQL Server outside of ArcGIS but not when using ArcGIS. I got the user to create a .udl file, entered the server credentials, configured to use Window NT Integrated security, selected one of the databases and tested the connection. All was fine. Back onto ArcCatalog or ArcMap, select the Windows Authentication connection and the user still gets the error.

0 Kudos
Peter_Green
New Contributor III

This was resolved. I pinned down our IT Partners, who created a new test Windows Account. This account was given the operating system connection files and could successfully connect to the databases with the connections. The new member of staff whose account could not connect had their Windows account disabled and re-created, were given the connection files and still could not connect.

The new member of staff's Windows Account name was 16 characters long. We created another new account, reducing the length of characters to 15. This new Windows account can connect using the connection files succesfully.

George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Enterprise geodatabase size and name limits—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Here some documentation on that. It may be the combined length (DOMAIN\USERNAME) was too long.

--- George T.
Peter_Green
New Contributor III

Thanks for your help George. When I closed the case with ESRI their response was exactly the same. I've asked our IT Partners to capture this requirement when creating new accounts that need access to our GIS databases. The IT Partners do the support but did not do the initial configuration and I don't have the help of a dedicated DBA but I am learning!

Peter_Green
New Contributor III

Issue is back. After 3 weeks of the user being able to connect to the databases with the connection (now that a new account with a shorter username) the user logs in today and gets the same message and can't connect. "Failed to connect to database. Underlying DBMS error[IM002:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specifiedNo extended error.]"  No change in configuration, same connection file on the user's c:\ drive on their desktop. Other accounts in the User Group can connect, read and edit. My hunch is this is some issue with Windows Authentication rather than GIS Enterprise database configuration. Can anyone help or point me in the direction of some things to examine? Thanks.

0 Kudos
AllanWadsworth
New Contributor

@Peter_Green did you ever find a resolution on this?  Happened to me just this morning.  Only change was lost internet connection for a few minutes and they the DB Connection was lost and this error message: Underlying DBMS error[[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server][SQL Server]The server could not load DCOM.]

0 Kudos
ScottTometich1
New Contributor

@Peter_Green  We are experiencing something similar, but it affects all users at the same time on an intermittent basis.  Did you ever find a permanent resolution to this issue?  

0 Kudos