Establishing a Geodatabase connection to Snowflake computing

04-16-2019 04:15 PM
EricAnderson14
New Contributor III

We have a data repository that resides in a Snowflake computing environment. We are wondering if it is possible to establish a ArcGIS Geodatabase connection to the cloud based Snowflake computing environment? 

Please let us know if anyone has any experience with anything like this. 

Thank you. 

Eric Anderson

17 Replies
BirajaNayak
Esri Contributor

Hi Eric,

Have you tried the below document to connect to SQL server database in Cloud:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/USER_ConnectToMicrosoftSQLServerInstance.html

Some more additional document here for the connection:

http://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/cloud/amazon/create-geodatabase-in-amazon-rds-for-sql-...

Thanks,

Biraja

0 Kudos
MichaelMirobelli
New Contributor III

I have the same question about connecting to Snowflake. My understanding is that the roadmap for Snowflake does include geospatial capabilities, but is there any way to connect ArcGIS Enterprise to Snowflake currently?

AmyKlug
Occasional Contributor III

I heard Insights might do this in next release.

NanaDei
Esri Contributor

Providing native support for Snowflake within ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Enterprise is on the mid-term roadmap, which typically includes new functionality coming in the next two or three ArcGIS releases.

Using Snowflake with ArcGIS as of today depends on your use cases and functionality that is currently available to support them:

• ArcGIS Pro 2.6 and later has read-only support for non-spatial data using an OLEDB connection
  • ArcGIS Data Interoperability extension provides read/write support at ArcGIS Pro 2.6 and later
  • ArcGIS Insights is scheduled to provide non-spatial support in the March 2021 release, and plans to provide spatial support in Q4 2021

We are interested in understanding how you are using Snowflake today and how you intend to use Snowflake with ArcGIS.  Please share your use cases and business requirements in the comments.

MichaelMirobelli
New Contributor III

@NanaDei Thanks for the information!! The roadmap that you linked mentioned Snowflake and BigQuery. Is Redshift already supported or will support for that be coming at a different time?

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Data Interoperability extension supports Redshift now and will add Redshift Spatial (both read and write) at Pro 2.8

MichaelMirobelli
New Contributor III

@BruceHarold Thanks for the fast answer. I should have been more specific, I was asking about support for/ within ArcGIS Enterprise. That is, will we be able to create WMS/WFS services from data in Redshift.

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Well you can but it would be extracting data from Redshift to do it, not a direct read.

NanaDei
Esri Contributor

@MichaelMirobelli ,the current work is related to BigQuery and Snowflake. We’ll review providing native support for Redshift at a later release. However, you may be able to achieve some goals depending on your use-cases as @BruceHarold  mentioned.