Errors when postgis extension (PostgreSQL) is installed in a schema other than "public".

03-30-2016 03:03 PM
AndrewKniowski
New Contributor II

Is it possible for ArcMap (using 10.3.1) to use a postgresql database where the postgis extension is installed in a schema other than "public"?  I prefer to install extensions in a separate schema especially when they are large like postgis.  However, ArcGIS continues to throw errors when trying to import datasets from our geodatabase that otherwise works fine with this arrangement.  I setup a test database with postgis extension installed in the public schema and was able to import the datasets without error. 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RexRobichaux2
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Matthew, 

If you had a support call that didn't result in a successful workaround for this issue, I'd suggest either reopening the last ticket, or request a new case to be created and see if this request is suitable in nature for an enhancement to be logged. Ensure to mention that you have already logged an ArcGIS Idea documenting this use case, and the reasoning behind it. Although this can't guarantee that this functionality (supported PostGIS storage outside of the Public schema)- it will at least better the odds of getting a final word on if this is possible or will be addressed in the future. I hope this is helpful!

The_Right_Honorable_MatthewSyp
New Contributor II

Thanks.  We're thinking along the same lines.  I actually did just that, including links to this discussion and the idea, and they are looking further into submitting a bug or enhancement for it.  I'll update if I hear anything.

MichaelDowney1
New Contributor

In case you are still interested. Esri has supported PostGIS installed in another schema since 2.3/10.7. "ENH-000113705 Provide the ability for the PostGIS extension to be installed in any
schema and not be limited to the Public schema."

Esri still stores https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/manage-postgresql/geodatabase-system... sde_spatial_references in the Public schema. This is to support select access to all users.

0 Kudos