Error migrating to ST_GEOMETRY

Jump to solution
03-01-2021 09:47 AM
BartPittari
New Contributor III

There are a number of feature classes in our current Oracle 12c/19 GDB that are still SDE Binary or ESRI LOB that I'm running an impact analysis on for upgrading to ST_GEOMETRY. 

When I tried to use the Migrate Storage tool, I received an underlying DBMS error   (Error 000955).  Upon having a trace run on the backend, we found that

The following statements encountered a error during parse:

SELECT * FROM SDE.SCH_DATASET

Error encountered: ORA-00942

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE MYSCHEMA.BIRDS_FEATURES SET SDE_CONVERSION = SDE.ST_GEOMETRY(:s1,:s2,:s3,:s4,:s5,:s6,:s7,:s8,:s9,:s10,:s11,:s12,:s13,:s14) WHERE SHAPE = :fid1

Error encountered: ORA-00600

So, it appears that SDE.SCH_DATASET doesn't exist (?) - is there a way to remedy this?

I think the preferred upgrade path (especially since it's what ESRI suggests) would be the Migrate Storage route.  The other route (copy, paste as ST, then rename) while successful, could raise too many impact issues on possible roles inherited, privs, and any underlying tables that get updated from a different interface.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

It may be best to work with Esri Technical Support on this moving forward. I have seen successful migrations in the past so not sure what is going on.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
George_Thompson

What is the version of the ArcGIS client and Enterprise Geodatabase that you are using?

Are you running this GP tool as the data owner?

The ORA-00600 seems like an internal Oracle error parsing the SQL statement.

Are these feature classes point / line / polygon FC's or have networks, topology, etc. with them?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
BartPittari
New Contributor III

Yes, the tool is being run as the schema owner.

The 600 error occurs during the update attempt.  I thought it may be related to the 942 error. 

The FCs are all point, line, polygon ones, no topology or networks.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

What version of Pro and Geodatabase (not the Oracle version) are you running this on?

Just checking that you reviewed this doc: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/manage-oracle/data-migration.htm

--- George T.
0 Kudos
BartPittari
New Contributor III

I've tried in all versions we have (10.4.1, 10.8.1 and 2.5).  The Geodatabase version I think is 10.4. 

And yes, I reviewed that document and my data meets all the migration prerequisites. 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

It may be best to work with Esri Technical Support on this moving forward. I have seen successful migrations in the past so not sure what is going on.

--- George T.