Error 000224: Cannot insert features when importing large feature class into enterprise database

04-23-2019 11:07 AM
Peter_Green
New Contributor III

I am attempting to import  feature classes in a fgdb  into an enterprise database. ArcGIS for Desktop 10.3.1. Enterprise Databases in SQL Server 2014. Two of the features classes are large.

In ArcCatalog when I select to import feature class (single) into the enterprise database and select to import one of the large feature classes I get the error 000224: Cannot insert features. When I select to import feature class (multiple) and select all the feature classes in the fgdb that I want to import into the enterprise database the smaller feature classes import, then when the processing attempts to import the two largest features classes the same error 000224 occurs.

I am replacing existing feature classes in the enterprise database by attempting to import the new  and when succesfully imported and tested remove the existing and rename the new feature classes to those of the originals. Enterprise database properties that I can view in SQL Server Management Studio are ROWS Data: Initial Size 104,024 MB and Autogrowth/Maxsize  is 10%, unlimited. LOG: Initial size 74,248MB, Autogrowth/Maxsize 2,097MB,152MB.

The original feature classes that currently exist in the enterprise geodatabase have the following Storage Properties; one has Index Space 1,273MB, Row count 12839349, Data space 15,007MB and the other has Index Space 2,085MB, Row count 36072588, Data space 23,140.688MB. The new versions should not vastly vary from the existing in terms of those properties.

Previous methodology was to merely delete the original feature classes and import the new. I am being more cautious in wanting to import the new and retain the existing until tested. The fgdb feature classes that I want to import I can load into ArcMap and view without error. I am using a dataloader connection that has insert permissions and I have tested successfully importing other objects into the enterprise geodatabase.

Could amending the  Autogrowth/Maxsize properties on the enterprise geodatabase resolve the issue?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Marc,

Do you receive an error when you try to copy/paste the feature classes from the FGD to the Enterprise Geodatabase?  You can do this by right-clicking on the feature class > Copy > right-click the enterprise geodatabase connection > Paste.

0 Kudos
Peter_Green
New Contributor III

I have tried to copy and paste into the enterprise geodatabase connection. It provided data transfer progress. Yesterday it appeared to copy all features:

but ArcCatalog  hung for several hours  after displaying all features had been copied and the desktop slowed down  until unusable. A forced crash of ArcCatalog was required and there was no imported featured class:

2nd and 3rd attempts show some progress in transferring features then I get a Paste failed error:

0 Kudos
BirajaNayak
Esri Contributor

Hi Marc,

Have you checked or verified data using "Check geometry" geoprocessing tool just to make sure data is good before importing. Check for any custom triggers and locks on the table  which may cause this error.

Other option apart from copy/paste is to create an empty schema enterprise geodatabase and append data.

If you still find the issue then open the SQL Server  profiler and check the error or last activity when import failed.

Thanks,

Biraja

0 Kudos
Peter_Green
New Contributor III

I have used check geometry and get 262 features with the Problem value of "short segments". However, I have run a check geometry on last year's retained fgdb feature class that was sucessfully imported last year into the same enterprise geodatabase and the report presents similar findings. Some features "short segments".

I will attempt your other suggestions of creating an empty schema enterprise geodatabase and appending the data. Thank you

0 Kudos