Does a Database Server Desktop need to be authorized explicitly?

Jump to solution
02-28-2019 03:57 AM
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

Following the instructions in Set up a database server—Database Server (Desktop) installation guide | ArcGIS Desktop, after installing the SQL Express it reads

If you are setting up a database server to store desktop geodatabases, proceed to the Next steps

, and then the only thing left is to connect from (e.g.) ArcMap.

From what I guess, there's no explicit way to authorize the Database Server Desktop, it's the client connecting to it that should be a Standard or an Advanced Desktop license that will pass or not the authorization.

Is that correct?

Does this mean that whatever client with these license leve could connect, regardless its authorization code?

I am actually using it without authorizing it, so I guess it's like that, but I would like to have a confirmation.

I am aware of the three-cocnurrent-desktop-users limit, but I am just curious about this thing.

With ArcGIS Server and Workgroup datasbases, I was used to find a "keycodes" file with the various authorization codes under "C:\Program Files\ESRI\License10.X\sysgen" path. Is it different for Desktop ones?

Thanks for clarifying.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I think that the DT version takes the license from client of an admin connection to the Database Server. It take the license information and populates the server_config table setting needed, as far as I know.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
George_Thompson

I think that the DT version takes the license from client of an admin connection to the Database Server. It take the license information and populates the server_config table setting needed, as far as I know.

--- George T.
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

Indeed, I see that there's a "AUTH_KEY" row in the SDE_server_config table with an "ECP" like code inside (probably auto generated?) and a "TEMP" row with the path to a client's %APPDATA% local folder. Here (e.g. C:\Users\<MY_USER>\AppData\Local\Temp\arcA838), I can see a file with the same value as the "AUTH_KEY" row.

So, the answer to the question "Does a Database Server Desktop need to be authorized explicitly?" seems "No".

Apparently, the authorization process goes under the hood when connecting from a client.

Thanks for the feedback.

George_Thompson

Correct, for Desktop Workgroup (limited to 3 connections) you do not license separately like you do with Enterprise Workgroup.

Glad to help!

--- George T.
0 Kudos