Delete/Append Python script causes data issues after upgrade from 10.0 to 10.3.1

09-16-2019 07:16 AM
ShaneBermingham
New Contributor II

I have a python script that does a simple delete and append  which updates feature class's in a GDB daily.

The updates come from a source database (Oracle 11.2.0.2.0)(10.0 GDB).

The target GDB is ArcGIS 10.5.

The original python script was hosted on a ETL server (windows 2003 -ArcGIS 10.0/Python 2.6).

This script was working perfectly for years running the updates from the Oracle database out to the target Geodatabases.

I recently moved the ETL script to a newer server with newer software (windows 2008 -ArcGIS 10.3.1/Python 2.7).

This immediately started causing issues with Geodatabases.

It caused the website that displays the data to hang and when viewed in ArcMap the feature classes took 3/4 times as long to draw and even longer to query.

When I rolled back my upgrade and put the scripts back on the old server, everything was perfectly fine again.

I have narrowed it down to the append process in ArcGIS 10.3.1.

The reason is not the obvious (that I am appending data from a 10.0 GDB to 10.5.1 using a python script in 10.3.1).

I know this because I have copied the target GDB to my ETL server and the feature class works fine in ArcMap. If I then run the delete and append script from a second copy of the GDB the issue arises. The data is identical in both GDBs so I am wondering is this an issue with the append tool in ArcGIS 10.3.1?

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I am at a loss as to how to proceed

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sharing with Geodatabase‌ and GIS

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I do see a few items to clarify:

- Is the new EGDB (10.5.1) on the same Oracle server (11.2.0.2.0) as the "old" one? Oracle database requirements for ArcGIS 10.5.x—System Requirements | ArcGIS Desktop 

- If the EGDB is at 10.5.1, why are you using a 10.3.1 client? Is it because it is the only client that can connect to that old of a GDB at v10.0? Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

- You may want to set up and analyze the SDE client intercept on the old vs new GDB to help determine where the hang up is.  How To: Set up an SDEINTERCEPT log file on a client machine for ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Server  & How To: Diagnose ArcSDE connection and performance issues using SDEINTERCEPT 

--- George T.
ShaneBermingham
New Contributor II

Thanks for your response George.

There are many different servers here, new and old. The target 10.5.1 GDB is actually a file geodatabase that is hosted on a windows 2012 machine. The source (Oracle database) is on a different machine and the ETL server is another machine that is essentially the middle man between these 2 machines and many others.

As I mentioned I believe the issue lies with the append tool in 10.3.1 as once it has been run the feature classes become virtually unusable.

To break it down even simpler if I have a feature class in a GDB and I run Delete Features (Data Management) tool and use the Append (Data Management) to put the same data back into the feature class I run into the issue I have described.

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned all about the environments/versions I am using, I was just trying to provide some context.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the context and clarification.

It may be an issue with the append tool into the file geodatabase. I am not aware of any off the top of my head.

It may be best to create a technical support case to work with an analyst on this as there are a lot of moving parts.

--- George T.
ShaneBermingham
New Contributor II

You are probably right George, I will open a support ticket and see what happens.

I have tested the Truncate Table (Data Management) [arcpy.TruncateTable_management} tool in the script instead of the delete features tool and it seems to be helping. Anyhow the battle goes on.

0 Kudos