Create a Enterprise database....sde password is lost

Jump to solution
07-18-2017 05:41 AM
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all,

I really need to fill the gap on my knowledge of RDBMS, I know. I am working on it. 

In the meantime:

I want to enable a Enterprise GDB on my Server.

So far we have used only one database that now has become impossible to manage: too many features.

I haven't created the db nor the sde account. 

I have full access to the machine with admin rights, but I do not have the sde password.

The person who created it is no longer in the office and isn't reachable. 

When creating a Enterprise GDB I am asked for sde password.....great!

Now, apparently in Studio management I can set a new password for the SDE user.

Question: am I going to mess the previous database by doing so?

Will this solve the problem?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

I hope you intend to create a SDE-schema Enterprise geodatabase.....otherwise, you don't need the SDE login credentials to create a DBO-schema Enterprise geodatabase....

View solution in original post

3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You can update the SDE user password within SQL Server Management Studio. This will only impact anything that is using the SDE user login (map services, feature services, Pro projects, MXD's, etc.). You may have to update any connection using the SDE user connection properties.

I would also review this help documentation links: Create an enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Enable Enterprise Geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

--- George T.
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

I hope you intend to create a SDE-schema Enterprise geodatabase.....otherwise, you don't need the SDE login credentials to create a DBO-schema Enterprise geodatabase....

PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you George, Thank you Asrujit,

valuable advices from both of you.

George, not being able at the moment to understand what is using (if any) the sde connection, your advice saved me from making some mess.

(btw is there any documentation I can read that can help me in doing this?, Just to be prepared for the future )

Asrujit, I mark your question as correct as I created the DBO schema even before reading your answer, but this is what I did.

I really need to go through all the documentation, but when it comes to roles, permissions...it is very hard to cope with. 

0 Kudos