Copy SDE geodatabase (source; enterprise geodatabase, destination; enterprise geodatabase)

Jump to solution
03-15-2017 08:20 AM
JohnMellor__GISP
New Contributor III

What is the best way to make an entire copy of an SDE geodatabase to a "test" SDE geodatabase?   

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

The best method will be to do a Full database backup and restore.

Or else if you already have the test GDB created, you have got a few choices: Overview of copying geodatabases—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

View solution in original post

25 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

The best method will be to do a Full database backup and restore.

Or else if you already have the test GDB created, you have got a few choices: Overview of copying geodatabases—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

JohnMellor__GISP
New Contributor III

Yes, I do have a TEST enterprise geodatabase already built. 

But I am looking to have an exact duplicate, for testing purposes.  I have read through the overview of copying and that doesn't seem to apply.  

Should I delete the TEST enterprise geodatabase and do the SQL backup and restore? 

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, that should help and be quick.

Which kind of Database (Oracle, SQL Server,etc) are you working with?

0 Kudos
JohnMellor__GISP
New Contributor III

SQL Server

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

so just backup that SQL Server database and restore it on another Test instance and that should give you what you needed. An exact copy.

JohnMellor__GISP
New Contributor III

Can you explain "and restore it on another Test instance" ? 

So do I need another existing instance, or am I creating the instance with restore?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

An "instance" in SQL Server is a installation of SQL Server. Within that SQL Server instance, you can have multiple databases (as long as they do not have the same name). I think what Asrujit SenGupta‌ is saying is to restore to the new SQL Server instance.

Example: Machine1\SQLServer to Machine2\SQLServer

Database Engine Instances (SQL Server) 

--- George T.
JohnMellor__GISP
New Contributor III

I'm still new to SQL; Does this mean that I have to move off the current instance?  Would it be possible to make a duplicate (TEST) database on the same instance?  Is instance synonymous with machine?  Can I have two instances on the same machine? 

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor
  1. You cannot have two databases with same name on one instance.
  2. You cannot rename an Enterprise geodatabase
  3. Yes, you can have two instances on the same machine. Logically, you should always have a separate SQL Server instance for development and testing.