Compress not available

Jump to solution
11-11-2022 06:04 AM
Stefan_Offermann
New Contributor III

We have a new Oracle 19c Geodatabase and ArcGIS 10.7.1, but cannot run the compress on the user because the context menu is gray:

Stefan_Offermann_0-1668175410980.png

The license level is ok, it works on migrated users from an old Oracle 12.2 instance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

1. make sure you are connected as the sde user

only the sde user can perform a sde compress

open the geodatabase connection file properties to check if you are connecting as the sde user

2. if you are connected as the sde user and the option is still gray out, then do not panic, simply on the catalog view click on another folder then click back in the connection file of the sde user, this will refresh and the sde compress shall be enabled in the context menu, another alternative is to use the GP Tool to perform the sde compress, in the Toolbox search for the "compress geodatabase" tool.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

open the geodatabase connection file properties to check if you are connecting as the sde user

2. if you are connected as the sde user and the option is still gray out, then do not panic, simply on the catalog view click on another folder then click back in the connection file of the sde user, this will refresh and the sde compress shall be enabled in the context menu, another alternative is to use the GP Tool to perform the sde compress, in the Toolbox search for the "compress geodatabase" tool.

Stefan_Offermann
New Contributor III

@MarceloMarques wrote:

This solved my problem!

I think the reason for my migrated users is that they are user-schema-geodatabases and therefor the compress can be started with the individual (old) user, not sde. I created one new user, with a master-sde-geodatabase, so this time I have to use the sde user instead of the individual user. Is this correct?

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@Stefan_Offermann Yes, with the sde master geodatabase only the sde user can perform the sde compress, and in  an user-schema geodatabases only the user-schema geodatabase owner can perform the sde compress.

Note, you might already know this, the user-schema geodatabases are now deprecated and for consolidation the path forward is to use Oracle Multi-Tenant CDB and PDBs.

read more in my blog at community.esri.com 

Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) Enterprise Da... - Esri Community