Check OGC compliance for Esri Enterprise geodatabases...is that possible?

01-31-2018 09:57 PM
NCGIS
by
New Contributor II

Hello,

My boss wants me to confirm whether the Oracle Enterprise geodatabase that we have is OGC compliant or not. Along with that I need a way to confirm whether the standard Esri geodatabase is also OGC compliant by default.

I checked here: http://www.opengeospatial.org/resource/products/compliant#ESRI  

The above lists "ArcGIS for Server Enterprise (ArcSDE) for Oracle 10.1" as certified. That was for version 10.1.
Does this indicate that SDE geodatabases starting from 10.1 are OGC compliant? Or only 10.1 was certified?

For checking the OGC Standards for a gdb, I checked this: OGC Standards | OGC 

But again, I am not sure on how to proceed to check, if our geodatabase is compliant or not.
The OGC Validator, TEAM Engine  , doesn't seem to have anything for this.

If someone can guide me in the right direction, that would help a lot!

Thank You!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is really more about the spatial data type than the product.  What spatial type are you using?

The ST_Geometry, the spatial format developed/co-developed by Esri, is OGC simple feature and SQL access compliant.  From The ST_Geometry storage type—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ,

The ST_Geometry data type implements the SQL 3 specification of user-defined data types (UDTs), allowing you to create columns capable of storing spatial data such as the location of a landmark, a street, or a parcel of land. It provides International Organization for Standards (ISO) and Open Geospatial Consortium, Inc. (OGC) compliant structured query language (SQL) access to the geodatabase and database. This storage extends the capabilities of the database by providing storage for objects (points, lines, and polygons) that represent geographic features. It was designed to make efficient use of database resources; to be compatible with database features such as replication and partitioning; and to provide rapid access to spatial data.
NCGIS
by
New Contributor II

Thank you Joshua for the reply.

Right now we are using only ST_Geometry. However, in an upcoming project we plan to use SDO_Geometry data type. Is that compliant too?

Also if I want to check whether the SQL Server GEOMETRY data type is OGC compliant, how can I do that?

0 Kudos
NCGIS
by
New Contributor II

Thank you George.

My last question would be, how to determine for Data in a File gdb? I tried to search for it and checked below link, but there is no specifics regarding OGC here..

Configuration keywords for file geodatabases—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I know you are asking because your boss is asking, but I am interested in why your boss is asking.  Often times when management types ask about stuff like, "OGC compliance," it is about checking a box off.  Knowing what box may help people here provide a better answer.

I assume you have seen Esri Support for Geospatial Standards (2017) .  You will notice under "Information Specification for Geospatial Information—Simple Features Access 1.1 (SFS 1.1) (Core)" and "SFS SQL Types and Functions (TF) 1.1 (Compliance Alternative)" a long list of enterprise geodatabase and ArcSDE products going back to version 8.x.  What you won't see on the list, or find in any documentation, is that Esri's file geodatabase is "OGC compliant."  Generally when it comes to standards, groups and companies like to advertise/tout when they are compliant, not when they aren't compliant.

Your original question was for "Esri enterprise geodatabases."  File geodatabases are not enterprise geodatabases, although they are most definitely an Esri geodatabase.  Portions of both Part 1 and Part 2 of Simple Feature Access as implemented in the file geodatabase, but that can be said about any geospatial data format.  Since file geodatabases are so closely tied to Esri products, I am not sure what "OGC compliance" really gains since Esri isn't pushing for file geodatabases to be a standard.

NCGIS
by
New Contributor II

Thank you Joshua again!

Well, the management wanted to just make sure that the Geodatabases we use or the data stored in those geodatabases, whichever applies, is OGC compliant. I am not sure, if this requirement is for a particular project. However, the instruction was to do some research and find out that we are in compliance or not.

The issue, I felt while researching is that, there are not many detailed links explaining if a Database needs to be compliant, or the data inside the database needs to be compliant, or rather how to check for compliance in general (other than the Web Services). So that was confusing for me.

Joshua Bixby wrote:

It is really more about the spatial data type than the product.

This one line provides a much more clear idea, than a lot of links I read!

0 Kudos