Cannot delete feature class from enterprise geodatabase

Jump to solution
08-22-2017 01:20 PM
KevinMayall
Occasional Contributor III

I have a geodatabase version 10.2.1 in SQL Server 2008 R2.  It has only two feature classes in it.  I have a database role in that database called 'DBEditors'.  If I look at the privileges for the feature classes using ArcCatalog, it says that DBEditors has Select, Insert, Update, and Delete privileges.  I have a user who is a member of the DBEditors group in the SQL database - I see this in SQL Server Management Studio under Database Role Properties.  However, the user says that the delete option for the feature classes is greyed out in her ArcCatalog.

The feature classes are not in any topology and they are not connected to any feature services.  The owner is DBO and they are not registered as versioned (they were, but I unregistered them).  No one else has any locks on them (according to Geodatabase Administration).  I've looked in SQL Studio and I don't see any duplicate/orphaned records in GDB_ITEMS or SDE_table_registry with the same tablename.

What else can I do?

Kevin
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

The owner is DBO

This is the reason. Only the owner of a data, will have the option to delete it. So in this case, any user with SYSADMIN server role assigned to them can be used to delete the Feature class.

If I look at the privileges for the feature classes using ArcCatalog, it says that DBEditors has Select, Insert, Update, and Delete privileges.

These Select, Insert, Update, and Delete are pointing to the permission to edit data inside the feature class. You can select(view) an existing, Insert new records, Update existing records and Delete a record from that feature class, with these privileges granted.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

The owner is DBO

This is the reason. Only the owner of a data, will have the option to delete it. So in this case, any user with SYSADMIN server role assigned to them can be used to delete the Feature class.

If I look at the privileges for the feature classes using ArcCatalog, it says that DBEditors has Select, Insert, Update, and Delete privileges.

These Select, Insert, Update, and Delete are pointing to the permission to edit data inside the feature class. You can select(view) an existing, Insert new records, Update existing records and Delete a record from that feature class, with these privileges granted.

KevinMayall
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you!  I was mixed up between deleting the feature records and deleting the feature class itself.

Your answer makes complete sense.

Kevin
0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you please mark Asrujit's answer as correct, if it answers your query satisfactorily?

Think Location
0 Kudos
IngridMans
Occasional Contributor II

I'm trying to delete a couple of stale feature classes from our enterprise geodatabase via right click--> delete, and it appears to "work", but then the next time I open ArcPro the layer is there again! I have tried doing this connected both as the database administrator and as the geodatabase admin on this sde-owned schema. 

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

You may have some orphaned records left behind in the system tables of the Geodatabase. My suggestion would be to contact Esri Tech Support. They should be able to check in a systematic manner and find out the cause.