Bulk Update Geometry

01-07-2020 02:33 AM
RAHULPANDIA
New Contributor II

We have 11 lakhs records with geometry in our oracle enterprise GDBs.(7 feature classes).

We need to update geometry of 2 lakhs records of which we have the object Ids.

What is the fastest way to proceed it?

Arcgis

Desktop 10.2.1

Geodatabase 102.1

Oracle 11g

0 Kudos
6 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You may want to review this documentation on what can be updated via SQL; What type of data can be edited using SQL?—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

I also think that it would depend on the following: Geometry storage type (SDO_ vs. ST_), Versioned?, does the feature class participate in advanced functionality (see link above)?

--- George T.
RAHULPANDIA
New Contributor II

We have following scenarios:
1. Some of the feature classes are non-versioned(As you mentioned and as per the link as well we can update the geometry using SQL)
2. Some of the feature classes are versioned and participates in a geometric network and relationships(we are not clear whether we can update their geometry or not? Link specifies we cannot update their attributes except for versioned and archived data).
and if it's possible to update the geometry it has to be performed through versioned views?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would say that is "should" be possible via the versioned view. Since the data is versioned, my guess is that it would delete and create a new feature with the updated geometry in the delta tables. I am not sure that you can just update just the geometry on the feature and not have it be updated since it is versioned and unless the record is in the base table would be stored in the delta tables.

I do not have an example in code of how to do this.

--- George T.
RAHULPANDIA
New Contributor II

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
CraigSwadner
Occasional Contributor

We have done this, its just a bit painful ,…. This can get you started https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/manage-data/using-sql-with-gdbs/edit-versioned-data-using-sql-sqlserver.htm

Craig Swadner (GIS Coordinator)

City of Cape Coral

1015 Cultural Park Blvd.

Cape Coral, Fl 33990

Did you know the best way to report issues to ITS is to use the Service Desk system? This will ensure someone in ITS gets your request and allows us to track the progress. Please enter all your issues and/or questions by clicking https://breeze.cape.capecoral.net

RAHULPANDIA
New Contributor II

Thanks @Craig Swadner

0 Kudos