Select to view content in your preferred language

Branch Versioning UTC vs database time for Editor Tracking

Jump to solution
03-30-2023 07:48 AM
CherylTrine
Occasional Contributor II

We have an enterprise SQL database and ArcGIS Server and Portal 10.9.1.  Up until now, we haven't worried about versioning because most of the time there has been a single editor meticulous about the quality of edits.  But things are changing, and we will be having other people edit through feature services.  Because their edits need to be vetted before they are committed to the database, I need to set up some form of versioning.  I am somewhat familiar with traditional versioning, having played around with it to learn what it was about.  However, I believe that Branched Versioning would be the preferred way to go in my scenario.

I tried to register a dataset as Branch versioned, but immediately ran into problems because our editor tracking has been using database time, and it appears that Branch Versioning requires UTC.  Database time is preferable in our case because all of our work is done in one time zone, and it is what our workers would understand.  Is there a way around this UTC requirement, or is there some way to make it so that the users would see database time?  Or do I need to go back through all my datasets that would use branch versioning, disable editor tracking and convert their date fields to UTC so that timing is at least consistent withing the dataset?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheryl

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarlonAmaya
Esri Contributor

Hi @CherylTrine ,

The service time zone setting should help you with this requirement.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/windows/edit-map-service-settings.ht...

In addition, starting at ArcGIS Server 10.9.1 you can also add the preferred time zone as well.

There should not be any need to republish the service, make the change and restart the service. 

Marlon

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MarlonAmaya
Esri Contributor

Hi @CherylTrine ,

The service time zone setting should help you with this requirement.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/windows/edit-map-service-settings.ht...

In addition, starting at ArcGIS Server 10.9.1 you can also add the preferred time zone as well.

There should not be any need to republish the service, make the change and restart the service. 

Marlon