Automated way to determine which domains aren't used in geodatabase?

Jump to solution
04-13-2017 10:52 AM
JustinRay1
Occasional Contributor

My enterprise geodatabase has dozens of various domains currently, though not all are likely in use.  Is there any way to determine if a domain is in use by any fields in the geodatabase without manually checking every feature class?  Preferably some way through Python/arcpy would be best.  Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlexanderBrown5
Occasional Contributor II

One more item.  You can utilize my suggestion above to find all 'Active' domains, and then utilize 

ListDomains—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

to get the full list.  Cross reference the two and you have all your inactive domains.

~Alex

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AlexanderBrown5

Justin,

Here is a good start:

arcpy - Listing feature classes with active domains? - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange 

You can utilize that example and calls through ArcPy to achieve what you need.

~Alex

AlexanderBrown5

One more item.  You can utilize my suggestion above to find all 'Active' domains, and then utilize 

ListDomains—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

to get the full list.  Cross reference the two and you have all your inactive domains.

~Alex

JustinRay1
Occasional Contributor

Great, thanks for the help Alex!

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Part-manual solution for a one-off....  if you copy the feature classes to a new empty fgdb for example, I think only those domains in use copy over (that has been my experience anyway).  Then you could use the ListDomains option. Not as automated but might be faster, depending on your needs.